**- Official Asus P5K Thread -**

Associate
Ideally, you need to remove the black plastic cap and use an 8 pin cpu power connector...Use a modular PCI-E cable for your 8800GT.

I hope that makes sense!!

perfect sense :)

Why should you not use the 4-pin cable for pci-e? Is this because it uses the same rail as the 8-pin so its like use one or the other for your mobo but dont utilise the free one as it will draw power on the mobo rail?

Soldato
perfect sense :)

Why should you not use the 4-pin cable for pci-e? Is this because it uses the same rail as the 8-pin so its like use one or the other for your mobo but dont utilise the free one as it will draw power on the mobo rail?

The PCI-E connector should be 6-pin and modular. The extra 4-pin one which is hard wired to your psu isn't needed (for older mobos).

Associate
OCZ 2GB 2.1v Kit And P5K

I'm currently using a P5K Motherboard with an OCZ 2x1GB CL4-4-4-15 800MHz 2.1v Kit and I'm having intermittent POST problems. The usually boot sequence for a trouble free POST is:
Power on
Pc switches on, then off again almost straight away
Pc then switches itself back on after about 5 seconds then boots up normally

This is not always the case and I quite often get a problem where nothing will appear on the screen. I've had to buy a 512MB cl5-5-5-15 667mhz 1.8v stick to replace the ocz kit to get a boot sometimes. It then complains of "failed overclock" but all I have to do is enter the bios, change nothing, save settings. pc reboots, I change the ram back to OCZ and it boots fine. This memory has been tested in other pcs all of which boot fine first time. Also the memory will POST with 1.8v set in the bios and only seems to cause problems POSTing when set to the required 2.1v.

Any suggestions would be welcomed without buying a new board :p
Thanks

Full system specs in sig

Last edited:
Soldato
I had the exact same problem with the OCZ ram and P5K-E/WiFi. Memtesting the sticks showed they were faulty (I had 2 sets and BOTH were faulty apparently, leads me to believe an incompatability with the mobo as the RAM isnt listed on ASUS site as being compatible). Replaced with GSkill and havent had a problem since. Sometimes when booting it would even tell me my bios was corrupted, which wasnt the case.

Associate
I am having trouble with the Wifi on this board. It keeps almost dropping out when playing online games, it isn't the game as I have tried it with various games.

Any suggestions on solutions? I have the latest drivers for the wifi. Will flashing to the up to date BIOS help? Or Chipset driver updates help?

Soldato
Got the latest bios for the P5K (906 isnt it?) and now I cant get it stable at 3.61 any more.....any one else found that overclocking with this bios isnt the easiest?

Associate
Just thought I'd bump and provide some info after trawling through the Asus website. I'm looking at the P5K-E for the Q9450 and saw that the board (and others) now supports FSB1600 as standard: http://www.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=9816

had a quick look around the net and saw that people are getting better FSB now which is good :) Has anyone tried these new BIOS? I know that it was mentioned that there was a problem with one of the voltages but apparently that may be sorted (noticed that the 1004 BIOS of the P5K-E has it resolved apparently).

Associate
Just thought I'd bump and provide some info after trawling through the Asus website. I'm looking at the P5K-E for the Q9450 and saw that the board (and others) now supports FSB1600 as standard: http://www.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=9816

had a quick look around the net and saw that people are getting better FSB now which is good :) Has anyone tried these new BIOS? I know that it was mentioned that there was a problem with one of the voltages but apparently that may be sorted (noticed that the 1004 BIOS of the P5K-E has it resolved apparently).

Never had a problem running 2000FSB (500fsb) with my old P5K Premium bios. My quad clocks to exactly the same level with the new 0504 bios, mb was never a limiting factor. :confused:

Asus know that all of their P35 boards will run 1600FSB all day long with any cpu, I would go so far as to say all decent P35 boards can achieve that level.

I call marketing BS :mad:

Associate
Be carefull flashing to the latest bios mine would not even post with 1004+1006....i had to mix the ram to get it going...and i'm not the only one who have had ram problem....Elixir pc8500 no boot!...Geil pc6400 no boot! ( yes tried all 4 slots) 1 stick of each boot!:confused:...0602,0603,0703 all boot fine!.

Soldato
Well my P5K wont boot with 400FSB with this new BIOS.

Absolute waste of money - I really regret buying this piece of %$!&. If I could afford it I would throw it out of the window and buy something else.

The layout of nearly everything on the motherboard leaves a lot to be desired. IDE, Reset jumper etc are all in stupid places.

Oh also CPR (auto reset bios on failed overclock) Dosent work for me either.

Grr!! lol

Associate
Well my P5K wont boot with 400FSB with this new BIOS.

Absolute waste of money - I really regret buying this piece of %$!&. If I could afford it I would throw it out of the window and buy something else.

The layout of nearly everything on the motherboard leaves a lot to be desired. IDE, Reset jumper etc are all in stupid places.

Oh also CPR (auto reset bios on failed overclock) Dosent work for me either.

Grr!! lol

Sell it on and buy a P5K-E, the vanilla P5Ks really are a hit and miss board :(

Associate
4gb memory - what to go for

I've just ordered a P5K Premium with a Q6600 and 4x1Gb OCZ PC6400 Platinum Rev2 XTC. The memory seemed like a steal at c£60 delivered, but I've since noticed reports of problems running it in P5K boards.

To be honest I was looking to run 8Gb, but got the impression that the current crop of 2Gb sticks were best avoided, so I thought I'd upgrade later, but not spend too much on a set of 1Gb sticks that I didn't plan on keeping long.

But, I don't want to compromise system stability at all or performance by too much.

Should I be looking to return the OCZ and take 4 x 1Gb of PC8500, maybe the Ballistic or Dominator? Would these be likely to run at 1066MHz (2 of the Ballistix do in my son's P5K)?

Associate
Afternoon all ok i'm a complete novice at o/c'ing and would like a little advice on how to go about it. I have had a look at the beginners guide but not sure where to start with this board. If someone could explain in idiot terms so i can understand i would be very greatful. Would i o/c using the bios or the AI Suite? Which is best? Not after a huge increase maybe 2.6 or 2.8ghz if i'm lucky. Would i see an improvement with a clock like that? Would the ram i'm using be a hinderance as well? Thanks for any help at all.

:D

Back
Top Bottom