buying a tortoise?

Caporegime
They're a pain to look after you know, they're very picky about the types of food they get and lighting, heat and humidity need to be spot on if they're going to survive. The UVA lights alone will set you back a good £25-40 every 2 months. Just make sure you do plenty of research first and only buy from a reputable breeder.

nah they're fairly easy to look after IME

just stick them out in the garden during the summer and bring them in at night - just needs a small enclosure indoors at night and some sort of rabbit run type setup out doors

pop them in a flora tub in the fridge during winter to hibernate - really isn't much harder than that

Soldato
OP
We aren't a bunch of incompetent retards :/

We have done a lot of reading up about it; construction a tort table etc.

I have already mentioned, whoever is able/can supply a good home for him will have him. If it goes well though I shall probably 100% get my own after uni.

Soldato
We aren't a bunch of incompetent retards :/

We have done a lot of reading up about it; construction a tort table etc.

I have already mentioned, whoever is able/can supply a good home for him will have him. If it goes well though I shall probably 100% get my own after uni.

Its a bit much calling everyone incompetent retards isn't it? We just want to make sure you don't make a big mistake in which an animal could suffer...

EDIT: I am a fool.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Split between four of us I can say it will be easily do able expense wise (hey, student loan) Building the tort table and pen outside will also save and be easily do able between us. Found some decent communities online and have been chatting on a webchat to one, very friendly and helpfull :)

Associate
Like Dowie said, they're not too tricky to look after, just make sure you are giving them sufficient heat, allow them to hibernate etc.

We got ours from a local garden centre. It's up to you where you get yours from though.

You might want to check out The British Tortoise Society, we take ours to a local centre every 6 months or so for a free check up, plus they have plenty of info etc.

Permabanned
Where about are you based for Staffs Uni., Stoke, Stafford, Lichfield or Shrewsbury? If you're in Stoke then Hancock's pet shop in Hanley used to sell Tortoises and are very good at giving out free advice for future pet owners.

We got our Minah bird from there years ago, but I've heard from other people that they're still a good source for all things pet related.

Soldato
They're boring, expensive and just go on living and living and living...

Get Gerbils, watch them scamper about for a year or two, bury 'em, move on.

I used to have 3 gerbils. They were awesome. :D One lost it's tail when it fought with another though :eek:

It slightly shocked me at the time, but aparantly gerbils tails are very delicate and are designed to come off easily to escape predators.

Soldato
OP
Where about are you based for Staffs Uni., Stoke, Stafford, Lichfield or Shrewsbury? If you're in Stoke then Hancock's pet shop in Hanley used to sell Tortoises and are very good at giving out free advice for future pet owners.

We got our Minah bird from there years ago, but I've heard from other people that they're still a good source for all things pet related.

stafford. Hanley isn't far and we usually go there (cinema, my mate lives there), I'll defo keep that in mind though :)

lol ja :p

Back
Top Bottom