Driving to Russia

Man of Honour
On a separate note, have you considered taking one of these "fear of flying" courses? A chap I work with runs them occasionally. It involves a day of speaking to aviation professionals; pilots, air traffic controllers, engineers etc. You also get to speak with therapists who try to find the cause of your fear.

It ends with a short flight over London in an attempt to conquer your fear. I have heard reports of people who have been on the course and they are cured now :)

Soldato
It is possible to take a cabin on many Merchant Navy vessels.

You would need to find a shipping agent who would be able to help you.

Look for departures from Eastern Coast UK ports.

Many people travel around the world this way.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Or flies. Longest I ever did in the states was LA to san fran with a few detours, took 12 hours or so including lunch with some friends. Anything further than that I flew...
Most Americans can't afford to fly that regularly, and most prefer road trips anyway. This is young Americans, not irch middle aged people.

When I lived in SanFran I regularly drove to LA (actually more usually to Santa Barbra or to San Diago as LA is a hole). Driving at night to avoid traffic and its a 5 hour drive along highway 5.
The more scenic 101 takes 7-8 hours. Highway 1 Big Sur will take at least 12 depending on what shortcuts used.

I drove to Vegas a few time, Austin Texas, Portland Oregon. All easy stuff. Finished off with a 7000mile road trip to oregon, Nevada, Colorado, arizona and SoCal. Even last summer on vacation I pulled off a 3000 mile trip in 2 weeks and never felt stressed driving.

Associate
My dad drove to Russia in a MG TC

like this:

Did the magill mellia (sp?) rally .... took him about 3 weeks to do all that!! he came second to last lol

Im goin next year :cool: (not in that car tho ^^) some one is leading us an Alfa when we get there dont know what type tho :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Most Americans can't afford to fly that regularly, and most prefer road trips anyway. This is young Americans, not irch middle aged people.

When I lived in SanFran I regularly drove to LA (actually more usually to Santa Barbra or to San Diago as LA is a hole). Driving at night to avoid traffic and its a 5 hour drive along highway 5.
The more scenic 101 takes 7-8 hours. Highway 1 Big Sur will take at least 12 depending on what shortcuts used.

I drove to Vegas a few time, Austin Texas, Portland Oregon. All easy stuff. Finished off with a 7000mile road trip to oregon, Nevada, Colorado, arizona and SoCal. Even last summer on vacation I pulled off a 3000 mile trip in 2 weeks and never felt stressed driving.

To be honest all my friends in the states fly, and they're generally about 23-25.

Man of Honour
My dad drove to Russia in a MG TC

like this:

Then did the magill mellia (sp?) rally .... took him about 3 weeks to do all that!! he came second to last lol

Im goin next year :cool: (not in that car tho ^^) some one is leading us an Alfa when we get there dont know what type tho :D
If he drove to Russia to do the Mille Miglia then he went the wrong way, the Mille Miglia is in Italy.

I would adise against driving to, or in, Russia. The weather is severe at this time of year, and police corruption is rife - particularly traffic police.

EDIT...

How old is your dad? The last Mille Miglia was in 1957!

Soldato
I have driven from Rome to Dunkerque pretty much non-stop with a couple of refuel/pee breaks, got a couple of hours kip on the ferry then drove home to Oxford. It was about 1200 miles in total and I was totally knackered when I got home, so I would not really recommend it.

Don
If he drove to Russia to do the Mille Miglia then he went the wrong way, the Mille Miglia is in Italy.

I would adise against driving to, or in, Russia. The weather is severe at this time of year, and police corruption is rife - particularly traffic police.

EDIT...

How old is your dad? The last Mille Miglia was in 1957!

Rofl, no wonder he was second to last. Makes you wonder where the person who came last ended up...

Associate
Sorry but I have to ask, why the hell does anyone want to go to Russia :confused:

Well, why not? I fully intend to go at some point next year, though I'll probably be only going as far as Vladivostok, on a brief holiday from China. Guess I'll try to head back to the west of the country at some point in the future.

Regarding this thread though, I'm hoping there's a more dodgy reason going on :p

Back
Top Bottom