NEC LCD20WGX2 review *** UPDATED 25/02/06 ***

Associate
Took advantage of the "This week only" offer. Arrived yesterday after preliminary testing im very happy. Theres a small amount of bleed in the corners but it is not noticible in normal use and Im hoping it will disappear after a few days.

Associate
Spook said:
Took advantage of the "This week only" offer. Arrived yesterday after preliminary testing im very happy. Theres a small amount of bleed in the corners but it is not noticible in normal use and Im hoping it will disappear after a few days.

How do you check for bleed. I mean when is it visible and when its not. I got mine today and I am still doing some tests. No dead pixels though.

Associate
OK, well I ordered and received one of these yesterday, and it appears to be suffering from the buzzing issue.

In standby it gives out a (quite quiet) high pitched whine, and in regular use it gives a buzz/rattle, in both cases it emanates from the part of the screen that takes the AC in. It's not really load, but it's load enough to hear and be annoying when I've not got the sound turned on with my computer.

Where do I stand on getting a replacement?

Associate
JonC said:
OK, well I ordered and received one of these yesterday, and it appears to be suffering from the buzzing issue.

In standby it gives out a (quite quiet) high pitched whine, and in regular use it gives a buzz/rattle, in both cases it emanates from the part of the screen that takes the AC in. It's not really load, but it's load enough to hear and be annoying when I've not got the sound turned on with my computer.

Where do I stand on getting a replacement?

Call NEC

http://www.nec-display-solutions.co.uk/coremedia/generator/index,realm=Service__Home,spec=x__uk__en

Associate
rezza said:
How do you check for bleed. I mean when is it visible and when its not. I got mine today and I am still doing some tests. No dead pixels though.

Sorry Bleed should have been in inverted commas as mine seems more like panel uniformity to me. Bleed will be most apparent in dark environments ie lights off on a dark background. If you have true bleed it should be quite apparent as there will be light shining around the edges of the screen. In my case there are "hot spots" ie the corners appear lighter than the center of the screen. There have been reports that this "bleed" diminishes with use.

Associate
I just got an NEC 20WMGX2 in town yesterday (US / California) , Long story short the image quality is *very good* but whats with the black levels !?! Is there anyway to improve this? When displaying a black screen it looks dark grey at best and also causes movies / certain games to have a washed out look to them,I have my CRT sitting next to it as a reference (Sony GDM-FW900) Im currently using Standard DV / Brightness 30% / Contrast 50% / Advanced DV enabled (when playing games) / Native Color selected and of course native resolution. Any ideas appreciated.

Here's a side by side shot: Link (My camera caused the overbright appearance on the LCD)

Associate
I'm seriosuly considering this monitor as an upgrade to my 17" POS im running at the moment. After i do a few more hardware upgrades (RD600, secondary HDD) that is.

Question though, i'm planning on going Vista with my new mobo (OEM Ultimate.... i figure i'll get a few years of play with the RD600 before ill swap to something DDR3, by which Vista will be a bit cheaper, or a new OS may be out..... either way, 2xOEM is STILL cheaper than retail), and i was wondering how vital HDCP in a new monitor will be given that fact?

Otherwise looks like a fairly spectacular monitor!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
if your monitor does not support HDCP your HDDVD and protected HD content will default to 480p (or was it standard definition DVD quality?) so you won't be able to watch 720p or 1080p content at those resolutions.

Your GFX card will also need a HDCP enabled DVI port.

Associate
Anyone who has a 360 through the VGA on this able to get it in the correct aspect ratio? If I put it on full screen it stretches the 16:9 display to 16:10 making aiming on COD 3 look rubbish, If I do full screen with aspect it puts it in a 4:3 display mode! WTF! The only ratio that is right is a 1:1 pixel map but then its about a 14" picture. Any tips, nothing I have tried works.

The PC through the VGA on the other hand works perfectly with all display modes, giving borders for a true 16:9 display if needed instead of stretching.

I take it then that the xbox is at fault?

Associate
Well I discovered that with LCDs you WANT ambient light present when using the monitor (unlike a CRT which can get washed out with nearby lighting) Anyhow this made the black levels much nicer looking.. I must say the overall image quality on this LCD is outstanding. Now we just need NEC to make a 24" version ;)

Caporegime
Well I discovered that with LCDs you WANT ambient light present when using the monitor (unlike a CRT which can get washed out with nearby lighting) Anyhow this made the black levels much nicer looking.. I must say the overall image quality on this LCD is outstanding. Now we just need NEC to make a 24" version ;)

I don't think it's going to happen. :(

nec 20wgx power button issues, anyone else had issues with this, and how did you solve them
cheers

Can you be a bit more descriptive?

Associate
There was a thread on here recently about power button issues with this monitor - mine has the same problem...usually have to press it 10 times to turn the thing on or off...so I just use the remote that came with it instead.

Only problem I've had with it - great monitor!

Caporegime
i have it as well, the power buttong doesnt seem particular responsive. Just needs a firm push

presume the contacts arent very well made and have worn down resulting in more pressure being needed.

and double ??? at the remote bit. Dont think any of the UK models got a remote ?

Back
Top Bottom