BBC iPlayer coming to the iPhone

Soldato
Looks like iPlayer could be included with the next software (SDK) bundle in the next week or so. From MacRumors:

Guardian.co.uk reports on BBC announcements about their iPlayer streaming television service, including usage stats. Amongst the announcements, however, is also the tidbit that the BBC will be launching their iPlayer service to be available on Apple's iPhone and iPod Touch devices in "the next few weeks".

There are surprisingly few details about this iPhone version of the BBC's iPlayer. The BBC's iPlayer currently comes in two flavors: a web streaming version as well as a Windows-only downloadable version.

TheRegister.co.uk claims that this means that the BBC will be transcoding their shows from Flash into H.264 video just as Youtube has, and also claims the iPhone iPlayer will be Wi-Fi only and that the BBC has a deal with hotspot provider The Cloud to offer free access to bbc.co.uk and iPlayer. While the "next few week" timeframe corresponds to the scheduled release of the iPhone SDK, it's never explicitly stated that this version of the iPlayer will be a dedicated player. A DigitalSpy.co.uk article even notes that it is possible only "because of the devices' good web support", suggesting it may simply be a specially designed web portal.

Looks like an awesome idea. Essentially means streaming BBC TV on your iphone :)

Man of Honour
Ooooo this sounds great :D

I bet it's just another Edge/Wi-Fi thing only though :(

I hardly get Edge or Wi-Fi anywhere around here, other than the wireless in my house. Sort of defeats the object though when I can just watch TV

Back
Top Bottom