(another PS3 thread) PS3 DVD Upscaler

Soldato
So i just got my PS3 yesterday and bought it mainly for Blu-Ray and upscaling my SD DVD's. Anyway, i set all the settings in the 'Display Settings' part to what i believe is correct using the HDMI cable:

Video output settings: 1080p

cross colour reduction filter is set to on

RGB full range (HDMI) : Full

YPB/CB PR/CR superwhite hdmi : Off

I also set the DVD Upscaler to "Full" too (i tried Normal but didn't notice any difference, Double Scale stretches it too much).

I put in Mission Impossible III and watched a scene from it to see the difference. However, i didn't really notice any. I brought up the AV Settings and turned 'Upscaling' to OFF (im guessing that just lets to the TV upscale) and the picture just looked the same basically.

Is there something i've done wrong? I noticed in the Display Settings that 576i/p (can't remember its one of those) is greyed out and cant be deselected. Is this a problem? Also, i just selected 1080p as the resolution to use and not 720p or 1080i in the Display Settings.

The TV im using is the Samsung LE40M86BD.

Thanks

Soldato
It doesn't add any more detail. At the end of the day either the ps3 sends out a 1080p upscaled image or the tv upscales it to 1080p. Depending on which scales better will give the best results. Normally the ps3 will give a better result and stop any scaling lag that may occur (a problem on some lcds with scart inputs).

Also check that your tv really supports full rgb, according to another guy on here if it doesnt you'll see the picture go duller when you turn it on as the rgb values will be wrong losing you the upper and lower ends of the scale.

Last edited:
Associate
I guess it's horses for courses. I checked Revenge of The Sith on dvd and then immediately on the PS3 and I noticed quite a difference in the sharpness.

Soldato
OP
Oh yea im sure its better than my old DVD player, but it just doesn't look much different than the TV itself upscaling. Reading other peoples posts on various forums made it seem like the world of difference :(

Soldato
Yeah I've tried it and didn't see hardly any difference - which is a shame because some people hype it up saying it looks so much better :p

Soldato
Well saying that - I did only try it on one DVD (Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang - Which by the way is FANTASTIC ;))
I'll give a few other DVD's a go soon

Back
Top Bottom