PSP, worth it? Or am I too late?

Man of Honour
Hey guys,

Always been tempted to get a PSP just because they do seem like quite a nice bit of kit, but now I'm seriously tempted after reading about the new God of War coming out, plus the release of all the FF games

I noticed a deal in a high street store, 149 for a PSP lite, 2Gb memory card, protection pack and a choice of game. Is this a good deal?

Or am I too late now and would I be getting it too late in its product life?

Cheers

P.s - I do have a DS but never really play it due to the games

Soldato
If you dont play your DS i dont see you playing this after a the wow factor wares off.

Why? The games on PSP are completely different to DS. DS games have never appealed to me either but I play my PSP quite a lot.

OP, I wouldn't say it's too late into the products lifecycle, if anything I think the PSP is only just starting to really take off.

Soldato
If you want mini versions of what you play on bigger consoles its great, the DS doesn't really do that imo. There are some good original psp games out there as well now. I prefer my DS personally but you do have to sift through the crap to find the gems just because the system is flooded with quick and dirty games ending in Z.

I agree with Joebob the psp seems to be getting a second wind atm with all the ps3 connectivity and some decent games out.

Soldato
If youre using it for traveling purposes etc. then its definitely worth having one. If youre gonna use custom firmware/homebrew then its definitely worth having one. If youve got a PS3 its definitely worth having one. If youre gonna use it at home and game on a console aswell you may find it becomes a bit redundant as tend to prefer gaming on PS3/360 etc rather than a handheld. I only really use it for snes/megadrive games at the moment but with Home & PlayTV coming out that should change.

Caporegime
I wouldn't really recommend one unless you want to play PSone games on it through the PS3. I've had one for 2 years now and it just doesn't get a look in, I don't rate it too highly.

Outside it's useless because of the reflective screen, inside it's redundant compared to a PS2 (which is cheaper). UMD's never took off, so movies isn't really worth it unless you're watching a downloaded video (for which it does it pretty well).

I like it for playing PSone games in bed (my PS3 is downstairs), but other than that, I can't really recommend one over anything else.

Soldato
Nokkon puts it well. You won't really be playing it at home because the full console is better. You might be hesitant to play it while commuting because it's target practice for thieves. And I don't see why you'd be playing a game while outside in the first place.

Let's face it; handhelds were only really good when we were kids :)

Associate
I've got my eye on one at the moment, purely for the Final Fantasy releases. Sadly, these days, the only thing that will drive me to buy a console is for Final Fantasy games... (though Lost Odyssey may change that, but it's essentially a Final Fantasy anyways ;))

Associate
Steedie, if you're interested in FF and do go for that pack, try and make War of the Lions your game. (Although, it can be had for £12 now, so you might be better off going for something 'full price' as it were).

Coming soon also of course is Crisis Core, which is more arcady but looks good for the FF VII tie-in (it's a prequel).

PS - I don't necessarily buy the handheld vs main console argument. I have a PS3 and a 360, yet FFT is currently my most played game!

Permabanned
I got one at a good price a little after they came out, was ok for a while but the position of the control stick annoyed my so I hacked the firmware and sold it at a huge profit :o

Soldato
Final Fantasy/God of War/Patapon - what more reason do you need to own a PsP, great time to buy one if you ask me :)

Like Apopcalyptic, I bought mine purely for the FF games, the other stuff is just a bonus.

Soldato
I bought a slim and light today as Im going to be travelling extensively in the next few weeks so wanted something else rather than just music from my itouch (tv episodes are too expensive on itunes imo, even though I bought B5 to try it out)

Currently just got a Bandicoot game and Outrun and possibly going to get WipeOut - plus maybe a few psOne downloads

Soldato
Bought mine on release and all i have for it game wise is Liberty city stories which i never completed or got close to and mercury which was the best game i had, i bought extend every extra, ratchet and clank which were both good but i never felt like spending the money for a console game on a handheld game.

i quite liked the homebrew scene, and watching movies on my psp, but now i have a Creative Zen with 16gb of Flash mem i dont use my psp at all, i would just say what i always say, ask a mate if you can test his/hers if they have one.

Associate
Had one at launch and i thought it was a terrific piece of hardware. Got Burnout and a couple of films with it and i have to say Burnout looked and played beautifully. As much as i liked the hardware i was just never that impressed with the games, though if i could have played PS1 games on it at that time i probably would have hung onto it. Still, owned the thing for three months and traded it at a high street games store for fourty quid more than i paid for it :).

Associate
I've got my eye on one at the moment, purely for the Final Fantasy releases. Sadly, these days, the only thing that will drive me to buy a console is for Final Fantasy games... (though Lost Odyssey may change that, but it's essentially a Final Fantasy anyways ;))
Just done the same thing! Purchased a psp ready for Crisis core! Omg i can't wait! :< - Oh and lost odyssey rocks! The battle won tune sounds like a cheeky mix of the classic FF version (may just be me) ;)

Soldato
PS - I don't necessarily buy the handheld vs main console argument. I have a PS3 and a 360, yet FFT is currently my most played game!
I don't buy this either. I have a PS3 and a gaming PC but still find time to play my PSP. I guess it depends on your own circumstances at home as I use mine when I feel like relaxing on the sofa and the wife is watching something on TV which I have no interest in.

Associate
Have to agree with JoeBob there - I too have a gaming PC and a 360, but always find time to pick up and play the PSP. I have been absolutely hooked on PSP Snooker for the last year! There are some great sports games if that's your thing including Tiger Woods and Virtua Tennis.

Associate
The PSP is fantastic, perfect for holidays and travelling. It has the best games on any handheld - Patapon, Burnout, FM series, final fantasies, syphon filter, god of war 2 to come. then there's the emulator stuff on top, and the films.
make sure you get a spare battery - an official one, well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom