Virgin media..any good?

Av8

Av8

Associate
Hello All,

I've at present got O2 adsl, i was originally getting the fastest upto 20meg service but was told due to line length etc it's only possible to get upto 8meg. Since then the speed has dropped even further to just about 6meg, so i guess i'm a little disappointed to say the least.
Well i've been thinking it over because i'm in a virgin media enabled area and the house i live in has in the past had cable, so my question is can i get virgin broadband only with not having to take out the phone line option too as their site seems to state broadband and phone packages. Is there any pro's or con's to this cable service?

Associate
Im not sure about getting only broadband but if you call 08458407777 they will answer all your questions.

I have been with virgin since it was blueyonder and have had no big issues but they are capping connections at peak times between 5pm - 10pm the times do change im on 4mb L and if i download 300mb before 5pm i get capped? not sure how they work that out i could download 18gb between 8am and 12pm and they say 300mb is an average users daily usage? Thats the only con i can think of but you get a fixed ip its fast instant and you have a constant connection.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Depends where you are, but in a 'good' area Cable is just fantastic. I love my 20mb connection, I'm able to download at 2.33mb/sec for the vast majority of the time. It does get a little slower at peak times, but I've never dropped below 1-1.5mb/sec.

Been with them for years, had great service, and minimal downtime.

Soldato
Depends where you are, but in a 'good' area Cable is just fantastic. I love my 20mb connection, I'm able to download at 2.33mb/sec for the vast majority of the time. It does get a little slower at peak times, but I've never dropped below 1-1.5mb/sec.

Been with them for years, had great service, and minimal downtime.

TRUTH.

Soldato
There cable is great.It's not as good as it used to be (they're capping too much now for my likeing) But the same can't be said for their ADSL service.

Soldato
I have 20mb with them, the best speed i get is 18mb however it has been going to 4.8mb every night for a couple hours for some reason (bout 9-midnight)

On my wireless network i get it at 14 - 18mb now.

Soldato
Got 20mb with them, and can't really complain, it rarely runs at 20mb, but I have downloaded at 2.3mb/s on one occasion that I can think of.
Rarely runs below 15mb, and we are in a area with huge amounts of people using 20mb virgin.

Compared to the sky adsl we had before it is a thing of beauty. The sky was rubbish, disconnected all the time, and wouldn't even run at 4mb (paying for 16mb) we cancelled after a month.

Associate
cable for the win, little down time, future rollout of 50mb (docsis 3) will free up the old docsis network for the rest of us, 4>10 upgrade will be interesting.

STM traffic management/capping isnt a problem, as you can download whatever you want 18hrs a day without any restrictions

Av8

Av8

Associate
OP
Thanks guy's, some good opinions there. I've just cancelled 02 adsl, and because i'm still within the 100 day cooling off period they're refunding all money paid. Only £30 but better than a kick in the teeth.

So i've ordered the 4mb Virgin media broadband via cable and upon ordering they said it'll be the 10mb service i'll get because my area has already been upgraded, cool! :D

What equipment will i get from them for this kind of service, is it a wi-fi cable router or what? And can i upgrade easily to their 20mb service in future?

Associate
Does anyone know if it’s true that they are making there M 5mb?
Just looking around that’s what everyone is saying:

M = 5mb
L = 10mb
XL = 20mb

Supposed to make them the fastest ISP out there for the price??

Upgrade is easy and fast because it’s all done via fibre optics

Not sure what equipment you will get but don’t think it will be wireless but you can always hope lol I have been on at them for ages to try and get myself a wireless modem and have ended up buying a wireless router which I’m having nothing but problems with.

Last edited:

Av8

Av8

Associate
OP
Not sure what equipment you will get but don’t think it will be wireless but you can always hope lol I have been on at them for ages to try and get myself a wireless modem and have ended up buying a wireless router which I’m having nothing but problems with.

Ok, i'm using mac so i'm getting myself one of the time capsules so i can link that to the cable and use that for wireless. I guess that's my way around it :D

Soldato
I'm pretty sure their 2mb is staying 2mb.

Their aim is a 2mb 10mb 20mb and 50mb tiers.

I might be wrong tho, but i've read nothing about the 2 going to 5.

My actuall broadband has been stable, had issues with them upgrading me, apart from that its the best connection i've ever had.

Av8

Av8

Associate
OP
A mate of mine said he had problems with their service and left because of them cache'ing their DNS servers, is this true or do they still do this?
I'm not 100% sure on what he means by that :confused:

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
What equipment will i get from them for this kind of service, is it a wi-fi cable router or what? And can i upgrade easily to their 20mb service in future?

You'll just get a cable modem, it doesn't have wireless. If you want wi-fi you'll have to buy a cable compatible router. You then simply connect the cable modem to the WAN port of the router via RJ45.

Av8

Av8

Associate
OP
You'll just get a cable modem, it doesn't have wireless. If you want wi-fi you'll have to buy a cable compatible router. You then simply connect the cable modem to the WAN port of the router via RJ45.

Mmm think i'll have to wait for my 'Time Capsule' for Mac, then use the wi-fi properties of that. In the meantime i guess i could use my Airtunes for wi-fi :D

Associate
Im unfortunately in a bad area where my UBR is oversubscribed - the upgrade date has been moved twice now (18/12/07 -> 27/2/08) and still has not gone ahead. VM imo have no intention of fixing it anytime soon, so its back to ADSL (BE) for me with a 6Mb sync which will be faster than my cable :/

If your in a 'good' area, download speeds are excellent and nice low latency.

Av8

Av8

Associate
OP
Im unfortunately in a bad area where my UBR is oversubscribed - the upgrade date has been moved twice now (18/12/07 -> 27/2/08) and still has not gone ahead. VM imo have no intention of fixing it anytime soon, so its back to ADSL (BE) for me with a 6Mb sync which will be faster than my cable :/

If your in a 'good' area, download speeds are excellent and nice low latency.

Rabtech, where are you in Preston? Sorry for sounding stupid but what's the UBR you mention?
I used to use Be* when i lived in Ashton area of Preston, fantastic speeds of 16mb :D Though now i live too far away from the exchange to make any impact speed wise unless i go cable.

Associate
Rabtech, where are you in Preston? Sorry for sounding stupid but what's the UBR you mention?
I used to use Be* when i lived in Ashton area of Preston, fantastic speeds of 16mb :D Though now i live too far away from the exchange to make any impact speed wise unless i go cable.

Dont make me jealous :( Do a reverse DNS lookup and the UBR your on is part of your address http://remote.12dt.com/

I'm located on the edge of Savick/Lea and connected to UBR04 which is having 'High TX Load' issues ie oversubscribed.

Back
Top Bottom