RAW - Point & Shoot?

Associate
May be a stupid question, but I am loving the fact that I have started shooting in RAW from my D40. I am on the look out for a semi decent point and shoot for those times that I dont want to lug my D40 around. Is it possible to get a point and shoot that can shoot in RAW?

Lastly, what would be your recommendations for a middle to high end point and shoot camera? I was looking at a Panasonic Lumix TZ3. Alternatives which are as good?

Appreciate any help received. :)

Associate
OP
Any alternatives, which are better than the Fuji, but not as expensive at the Canon - tis about £300+ which is much more than I intended on spending. The Fuji I can get for about £80. Was thinking what a good compact is for around the £150 - £220 mark.

33L

33L

Associate
I wouldnt mind a compact for the same reason as dont want ot carry kit around. Might have to look into the canon G9. but i feel it maybe a tad expensive.

Soldato
Any alternatives, which are better than the Fuji, but not as expensive at the Canon - tis about £300+ which is much more than I intended on spending. The Fuji I can get for about £80. Was thinking what a good compact is for around the £150 - £220 mark.

Used Canon G6? They're quite old but shoot in raw (unlike the G7) and they seem to take decent photos.

http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/canong6_samples2/

Associate
Many of the canon point and shoots can be "updated" with CHDK to shoot in a RAW format. It is worth looking into if you don't want one of the larger cameras like the G9.

Caporegime
The real question, is there an advantage using RAW on a P&S?

It partly goes against the whole ethos, and secondly from a technical perspective is there really any more info in a RAW that is usable form a P&S.

33L

33L

Associate
The real question, is there an advantage using RAW on a P&S?

It partly goes against the whole ethos, and secondly from a technical perspective is there really any more info in a RAW that is usable form a P&S.

I wouldn't knock the p&S! They are limited by the lens and some by the sensors etc... but there are some that are pretty decent and the advantage of a p&S is that you can take it places you wouldnt take a SLR - like a birthday meal etc. as you dont want to be carrying the kit aronund. But at least in raw you have the ability to try and rescue a shot that may not have come out so well.

uv

uv

Soldato
dang.. only just got a new P&S the other day, a Casio Exilim..

If I'd known about CHDK, I'd have bought a cannon :'(

I guess it'd take years of learning to code to be able to take a stab at doing the same with the Casio firmware.. I'll be looking out for a Cannon on the cheap then!

Back
Top Bottom