merge in turn

Soldato
I give up with people not knowing the rules! We're not trying to push in!! :)
It is desperately annoying. There's could be a sign up saying 'merge in 300miles', and people would still all do it there and then. And then get agressive when you follow the instructions of the other sign saying 'use both lanes. merge in turn'.

Soldato
Agreed, people merging too early is annoying, however, round here people seem to do the opposite... they wait until the very last moment possible before thinking about merging. It becomes a game of chicken then.

Why can't everyone else drive as well as I do?

Soldato
Why can't everyone else drive as well as I do?

Oh dear.

The whole point of merge in turn is that you queue/use both lanes right to the end, and then alternate cars proceed from each line... "Merge like a zipper".

Sounds like you (and about 80% of the people who I seem to encounter in queues and insist because they're in the left lane they have right away) aren't driving as well as they think!

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Unfortunately, the merge-in-turn rule was written in the days of courteous and sensible drivers. Now, one of two things happens:

1) People get in the lane early and scowl at people who merge further down the line.
2) People race right the way down the closing lane, and merge in a large group at the last moment causing a sodding huge jam.

Anyone relying on the average driver in the UK to be sensible about this situation has no understanding of human nature :)

Associate
We have one of those road. Buses and some cars take it upon them selves to actually sit in the outside lane blocking road users who know how to use the road from doing so! Drives me mad in the car, give lots of hand gestures when im on the bike and can get past them!

Soldato
People don't understand how to merge in turn here, hence why the roundabout gets blocked up in most of the places.

IF YOU USE MERGE IN TURN PROPERLY, BOTH LANES WOULD BE ROUGHLY EQUAL THEREFORE THERE WOULD BE NO "QUEUE JUMPING" AND THE ROUNDABOUT WOULDN'T BE SO BLOCKED UP AND DANGEROUS.

Idiots.

Associate

Road works

When the ‘Road Works Ahead’ sign is displayed, you will need to be more watchful and look for additional signs providing more specific instructions. Observe all signs - they are there for your safety and the safety of road workers.

* you MUST NOT exceed any temporary maximum speed limit
* use your mirrors and get into the correct lane for your vehicle in good time and as signs direct
* do not switch lanes to overtake queuing traffic
* take extra care near cyclists and motorcyclists as they are vulnerable to skidding on grit, mud or other debris at road works
* where lanes are restricted due to road works, merge in turn (see Rule 134)
* do not drive through an area marked off by traffic cones
* watch out for traffic entering or leaving the works area, but do not be distracted by what is going on there. Concentrate on the road ahead, not the road works
* bear in mind that the road ahead may be obstructed by the works or by slow moving or stationary traffic
* keep a safe distance - there could be queues in front

To obtain further information about road works see 'Other information'.

[Law RTRA sect 16]

* 133-143: Multi-lane carriageways

You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.

merge in turn is as described for road works and congested areas, its not a means to get ahead of other traffic in the sense that most drivers do, i.e motorways where 3 lanes go into 1, it also says in good time! this is also not what i see others doing and its usually not done at very low speeds as described.

Caporegime
i LOVE merge in turn!

When you drive a car as crappy as I do, your not scared of a little nock. Driving in and out of exeter every day for 6 months provided me with lots of oportunities to force a merge in turn against a stuck up angry shouty merc, bmw, or porsche driver!

They soon soon give way when the realise you really arent going to stop moving into that non existant gap!

Soldato
you also get the morons that pull out into the right hand lane 3/4 mile before the merge, blocking the lane, the merge is usually a 50, pulling out on someone doing 50 isn't very clever.

Soldato
Regularly come across a long queue of people waiting on the left and a totally free lane on the right heading towards a merging point on my way to work in a morning.

I was coming down the right lane and this guy pulls out and straddles both lanes to stop me passing. I was like WTF? Tard. :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
When you drive a car as crappy as I do, your not scared of a little nock. Driving in and out of exeter every day for 6 months provided me with lots of oportunities to force a merge in turn against a stuck up angry shouty merc, bmw, or porsche driver!

I did that too. Took 10 minutes off my journey time.

Associate
I witnessed a minor accident due to a lane straddler as mentioned in post 16. Guy just pulled out in front of another guy proceeding to merge. Luckily it was low speed. It's becoming too common - so dangerous.

Associate
I witnessed a minor accident due to a lane straddler as mentioned in post 16. Guy just pulled out in front of another guy proceeding to merge. Luckily it was low speed. It's becoming too common - so dangerous.

they possibly had decided to use that lane like the others to jump ahead, but probably without checking first if safe.

Back
Top Bottom