Weird vista problem driving me nuts!!!

Associate
Hi all,

I really hope someone can help me as I am going insane with this. for the past few weeks I have had this problem where by when I try to boot my Windows vista system I am told that my registry is corrupt or missing and that I should insert my vista disk to repair the instalation. Which I duly do. The repair then just restores the system to an earlier good state and all is fine. however after 2 or 3 days the same thing happens again but this time as well as the registry being corrupt, I also have to repair tons of disk errors with chkdsk. Once again after doing all this everything is fine again.

This has been happening every few days for the last few weeks and I have absolutely no idea why. I have run endless virus and root kit scans and come up with nothing. I am completely up to date with updates and all latest drivers.

One other problem I have noticed is that IE 7 tends to freeze for about 40 seconds when I try and shut it down, but other than that everything seems fine.

please please please help me get to the bottom of this.
Andy

Associate
I had a similar problem and was told the only real answer was to do a clean install. I hedged for ages but had to bite the bullet in the end, and my problems went away. (fingers crossed)

Associate
You could take a look at the reliability monitor and trace back to see if that can hightlight what changed at about the time that the issue stated

Control Panel / Administrative tools / REliability and Performance and then click on the Performance/Reliabilty monitor.

Associate
OP
Ok guys, I knocked everything back to stock and was using as normal. Last night I came to boot up the system and got the same message that the system registry was either missing or corrupt and to repair using the vista dvd. After the repair which just restored to a working point everything was ok.

I have taken a look at the reliability monitor in control panel, which shows the various boot failures on the dates they happened, but thats about it. I don't really know what else to look for. Anymore ideas please?:confused:

Soldato
Sounds like hardware to me... either dodgy RAM or your hard drive is on its way out. Test your RAM using MemTest and check the HD using the utility from the HD manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom