Challenge - Find a Laptop with both serial and Parallel

Associate
Hi guys,

Thought I'd set you a challenge as I'm pulling my hair out over this. I need to find some laptops with both serial and Parallel ports. They must be native and adding them via a docking station with duct tape dosn't count.

The machines must be new.
Have both serial and Parallel ports.

Good luck folks, the Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E series are the only ones I can find. I'll be really impressed if anyone can find any other machine because I've hunted high and low!

Supprise me!

Rick

L33

L33

Permabanned
Laptops with serial connections are not too hard to find if you stick to 'business' laptop models, but parallel is pretty much history, not least because the port physically takes up a fair bit of space on the back of the laptop and on the motherboard.
I'm guessing the users are going to be connecting to some sort of printer/scanner etc, in which case they're not going to be massively mobile as it is, so any reason they cant just pick up a couple of USB > parallel adapters? I use a USB > serial adapter all the time for configuring up cisco devices and it works a treat. Tiny in size too.

Soldato
Is this for special needs? Ring up various special needs place’s like Outreach or even schools. They still use laptops with both ports and could tell you what to use.

Apart for some special needs device's why would you need both ports on a laptop?

Soldato
Have an old Toshiba Tecra 8000 here which has both.

Admittedly its a good 10 years old now, but it runs XP SP2, and it's usable.

Just a thought if you can find a second hand one.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom