Short eared owls, part deux.

Soldato
OP
Lol no worries - back on subject.

The lack of noise and the clarity in those photos at the ISO and length you're shooting at certainly do the camera justice - Brilliant shots, brilliant camera.

Cheers :)

I've ran a little noise reduction on some of them, as there is noise present at ISO800, although its not that intrusive and removing it doesn't harm the detail with such a low pass.

I've been back three times since these pictures were taken, (I added another one of him watching a glider, in my barn owl post) he's out and about and generally being very active, every 10-15 minutes of hunting is followed by a 5minute rest on his fave mole hill or halfway up the bank peering at me through the grass, i've got about 4GB of these shots now lol, he can be very accomodating.
The area where he hunts is a complex of drains which link together to form a small pond, stuffed with Voles, its basically McDonalds for him.
The hardest shots are the flight shots, as its all done from a car window (he won't tolerate you at all on foot) the hard part being I have to adjust exposure compensation all the time whilst shooting, depending whether there is a background or pure sky, i've tried spot metering but I find it to extreme as he's a pretty dark bird and extremly easy to under/over expose his colour and barring, that coupled with the fact he's a real acrobat, great to watch near the car but frustrating when you miss the shots, its taken quite a few trips to get these shots (around 12 trips so far) the great thing is that he's pretty much unphotographed by anyone else, and even better when I can just go out and watch him for a while and not take pictures, he is a real character, those eyes really burn.

Soldato
OP
thought about trying a hide or similar - plant yourself up earlier in the day and sitting it out?

Have done yeah, trouble is... we're talking about a creature with eyesight 50x better than ours, who knows every inch of the territory he hunts over, any slight change in that and it'd probably take him a lot longer to get used to it, he's a lot more used to tractors, farm machinery and a few cars so I don't think I'd get any better opportunites...

Back
Top Bottom