• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DELETED_25227

Mud

Mud

Soldato
I'm also considering ordering an XT to complement the X2, but I'd like to see someone do some stability testing of the Corsair HX620W with the 3 GPU setup first as I really don't want to change PSU.

Associate
Hi guyz, I am still tempted today to stick another 3870 into my rig to join the 3870x2 - has anyone here tried it yet? using a q6600???

Ive seen how nice unreal 3 looks with all the aliasing turned on (cat 8.3), and not too bothered about future games tbh, If I can play most of my games looking like this to me its worth sticking the extra card in to have a play.

But Id like to here from anyone thats tried it yet.

EDIT im using p35 chipset

Matey, it certainly works. Here you go:

CF_combo_chart_Dec07-1.jpg

Caporegime
That 4x Slot will probably hamper performance, and im sure the X2 doesn't run at 16x, it splits that lane in half (8x/8x), as its 2x 3870's on the one board, so would be running 8x/8x 4x, if you Tri'd up.

Associate
I am sure you trying to be help but thats not really what I had in mind. lol

Oops, I got it now, sorry:p
Someone has given me the information about the PCIEX4 limits. He said it would hit 15% performance which I think it's quite a lot for a benchmarker like me:)

Soldato
That sounds about right with the new 8.3 cat drivers, as there seems to be an issue with 3Dmark06.
My x2 by itself on the same motherboard hits 11500, thats with the oc in sig.

/edit

If you're noticing an improvement in games even with it being 16x and 4x i may consider getting an XT to partner my X2.

Soldato
That 4x Slot will probably hamper performance, and im sure the X2 doesn't run at 16x, it splits that lane in half (8x/8x), as its 2x 3870's on the one board, so would be running 8x/8x 4x, if you Tri'd up.
You're forgetting that it uses AFR and has a PCI-E bridge chip on the PCB. :p

Basically all the data is thrown together before it's streamed through the PCI-E interface.

Associate
I have just been trying silent hunter 4, all maxed with 16x 16 AA.
Runs a treat, and looks fantastic with that filtering. I guess the third card just gives me some extra whhomph for all those bells n whistles.

Unreal rocks when it works, but I get lots of crashes all the time even just loading the game. but it did that with the x2 alone.

Hey Bandy, great to hear you got them all up on fire now!:D
Any pics or screenies to be shared here? I'm gutted to see them:)
Maybe you could find some patches here for the 3DM06 and the Unreal. www.guru3d.com

By the way, did you try Crysis? From Xbit-labs' tests, even 3x 8800U SLI can not handle the game well at 1920x1200 with Max. settings(No AA or AF). They could only do around 25FPS in average.

Associate
Have a 3870 xt coming tomorrow, will see how well it does with the x2. Currently getting 19,400 points in 3dmark 06 with rig in sig. I have a couple of questions if anyone can help answer.

Do the core and mem speeds (for all 3 gpus) have to be same for best overall performance ? The x2 is at 870/1900 overclocked (stock 825/1800). The Sapphire card`s core is stock at 770, dont know how much faster I will be able to get it.

The x2 is using ddr3 where as the xt is using ddr4, how does this work in a xfire situation ?

Do you think my 580 Watt powers upply will handle the 3 gpus ?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom