• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DELETED_25227

Associate
Have a 3870 xt coming tomorrow, will see how well it does with the x2. Currently getting 19,400 points in 3dmark 06 with rig in sig. I have a couple of questions if anyone can help answer.

Do the core and mem speeds (for all 3 gpus) have to be same for best overall performance ? The x2 is at 870/1900 overclocked (stock 825/1800). The Sapphire card`s core is stock at 770, dont know how much faster I will be able to get it.

The x2 is using ddr3 where as the xt is using ddr4, how does this work in a xfire situation ?

Do you think my 580 Watt powers upply will handle the 3 gpus ?

Thanks.

I think you need a better PSU like TT Toughpower 750W on the safe side. I suggest you to check the total +12v output from the PSU. If it is greater than 55A, it would be good enough.
Edit: Looked up some forums, people are saying 40A is good enough for a single 3870X2 card with OCed Quad core CPU. So my thought on 55A total +12v output is confirmed as a minimum requirement for an extra 3870 for your rig:)

For the rest of your questions, I think only baNdy can answer them.

Come on~ baNdy, I think everybody wants your answers:)

Last edited:
Associate
Have a 3870 xt coming tomorrow, will see how well it does with the x2. Currently getting 19,400 points in 3dmark 06 with rig in sig. I have a couple of questions if anyone can help answer.

Do the core and mem speeds (for all 3 gpus) have to be same for best overall performance ? The x2 is at 870/1900 overclocked (stock 825/1800). The Sapphire card`s core is stock at 770, dont know how much faster I will be able to get it.

The x2 is using ddr3 where as the xt is using ddr4, how does this work in a xfire situation ?

Do you think my 580 Watt powers upply will handle the 3 gpus ?

Thanks.

nice score, what you using to clock the X2 3870 ??
Overdrive in Cat ??

HeX

HeX

Soldato
hi guyz,

Sorry about the delay! wasnt around in the evening.

The PSU I am using is a enermax liberty 620w.
My Cpu is not overclocked and runs at 2.4gig (q6600)

I have tried crysis and its a smoother deal again, although its still far from how I like to play my games. The game is playable and autodetects GFX quality to HIGH, using the dx10 64bit exe.

I was curious actualy how much extra I would get from going triple x, and running the cpu at default, but I think it adds a nice boost. probably a bigger boost with more cpu power.

Use DX9 64bit EXE, it is FAR faster.

Also, why not clock the quad up? you could prolly do 3Ghz on stock volts...

HeX

HeX

Soldato
If you want near enough 60fps from Crysis run all HIGH apart from Shadows at MED.

Nets me about 55fps @ 1680x1050 on an X2, so with Tri-Fire you should be close to 60fps at that res/settings.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
oh but hex it has to looks good too!

lol.

actually I might just have a look, and run the benchmark at dx9 set to medium - see what a stock q6600 gets with triple x. :D

With shadows at medium you honestly won't tell the difference.

You'd have to stand still and stare at a shadow to notice the edge was a bit less detailed... lol

Everything else you can leave on high, I even edit the configs to enable POM, colorgrading, and sunshafts, and with shadows at medium it is still 50fps+

Well worth doing.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
I just bumped the cpu upto 3ghz 9x333.

Medium gets 45fps now, just goes to show we need more cpu power captain!
for crysis at least, im convinced they made it suck so bad just to get ppl to upgrade - got to be the worst engine ever.

Thing is you are getting less fps with 3 cards than a single 2900XT at all med.

I'm pretty sure my MED score is in the 80's and i'm only on an X2...

I'll run a bench when I get home.

Soldato
I may have to give that shadow experiment a try, am pretty happy with the performance with the latest patch, however there a few places where there are slow downs, and a few extra FPS never hurt anyone, especially if you cant really notice the difference.

Soldato
So you guys are noticing a difference of an extra 3870xt with a 3870x2 on a p35 chipset??

Sounds pretty good, got an e8400 @3.6ghz and a single 3870xt on a gigabyte p35-ds3p, may have to grab another 3870xt somewhen :)

HeX

HeX

Soldato
hex;

The thing about benchmarks (and comparing them) is this;
You have to be sure that were all on the same sheet with specs and configs prior to drawing conclusions!

I dont feel my crysis benchmark is much higher, but the game feels smoother, as does coh and the map scroll test.

I know that, but you have a system similar to mine, Quad, X2, running 64bit DX9 exe.

I know for a fact my FPS in no where near that low in all MED crysis bench at that res.

Not to mention the fact you are running an extra GPU to me.

Back
Top Bottom