The Budget - Band G Tax £1000!

Soldato
The link doesnt work at the moment but im failing to see the rational behind those figures?

A car that emits 272g/km sat in band G would have to drive 4km to make the same CO2 and the 500w PSU running for 4 hours.

Bold point probably isnt true anyway :p

Have I missed some sarcasm or have you missed the point that's trying to be made?

There's a whole range of human activity that produce CO2 from computers to kettles, fridges to patio heaters, yet the car is the only one that's consistently singled out for "green" taxes.

Soldato
Have I missed some sarcasm or have you missed the point that's trying to be made?

There's a whole range of human activity that produce CO2 from computers to kettles, fridges to patio heaters, yet the car is the only one that's consistently singled out for "green" taxes.

That's because car's are bad, and kill children. Ok.

The reason the car is picked on is because they appear dirty and polluting. You can see, hear and smell a car - and it's easy to convince people they're a bad thing.

Man of Honour
That's because car's are bad, and kill children. Ok.

The reason the car is picked on is because they appear dirty and polluting. You can see, hear and smell a car - and it's easy to convince people they're a bad thing.

You forgot the fact that their use is also unaviodable and therefore the motorist makes a great cash cow...

Associate
Ive just bought a KG of coal for £2 and im burning it in the garden tonight

for fun

If they are going to be childish and ilogical so am i

Man of Honour
Well, avoid the tax hike on Band G cars and get a... oh I don't know? Band E or F?

But it doesn't matter, because my actual emissions depend on how I much I drive it. (And I do have a band F car, falls just under the limit, so it's the best of both worlds, a fast dolphin killing rabble rouser that I don't pay lots of tax on ;))

50,000 miles in a low band car is a lot more CO2 than 10,000 miles in a band G one...

Permabanned
If you can afford to buy a band G car new, then another £1000 on top of the original purchase cost is hardly going to hurt. Blown out of proportion this a litttle I feel.

Caporegime

33km at 273g/km is not the same as 4 hours at 273g/hour is is ;)

Man of Honour
Prove it is flawed..

It's not the populace's case to prove that something will provide a clear reduction in social harm, it's the states.

So the state needs to prove that the above measure will reduce total carbon emissions, and that reducing total carbon emissions is desireable.

Soldato
Using a computer with a 500w PSU under full load actually uses 272g of CO2 per hour. If I play Crysis or SupCom for 4 hours a day then I do as much damage to the environment as driving 33km in a Band G car.

Source for CO2/kw figures
What if the power generated to run your computer was from a renewable source, i.e. one of the many windfarms (onshore/offshore) in the UK ;)

Cars are not being singled out.
The power generating industry, air travel yada, yada are all facing targets to reduce emissions.

Soldato
What if the power generated to run your computer was from a renewable source, i.e. one of the many windfarms (onshore/offshore) in the UK ;)

I'd actually love to see every person in the UK sign up to one of the "Green Energy" tariffs just to see the power companies squirm when they realise they can't generate that much green energy and get fined to death for lieing to us :D

Caporegime

Yet that renewable energy is already working off it's own CO2 emmisions form when it was built, and will be more many years before it's measly existance starts to have a posotive effect.

Cars are not being singled out.
The power generating industry, air travel yada, yada are all facing targets to reduce emissions.

But surley you can not see the wool slowing coming down past your nose? Car's on a global scale ammount to 2% of world CO2 emmisons. So why are they so concerned about getting it down? Air Travel and manufacturing are the big poluters, Porche pointed out that if the congestion charge was hit £25 then the toal CO2 saved would be emmited in just a few hours from Heathrow. We also now see Logistics firms unloading 40t wagons outside london and doing the runs in with multiple vans to save money, which one do you hoenstly think does more damage to the enviroment, a produced 40t wagon doing 9mg or 10 drivers produced Merc Sprinters and the fuel to go with it?

Back
Top Bottom