Solution to Planet Killer Tax?!

Associate
Following yesterdays annoucnemnt that Band G cars will attract £1000 a year road tax (in the first) I got to thinking where it will end.

Give it a few years and we will be priced off the roads, petrol £2 a litre and road tax £1000 per year. Anyone who wants to own a nice car will be victimised and scapegoated as evil evil people.

I got to thinking of a solution.

The only viable alternative is to buy two cars. One diesel, high MPG, low tax for work and bite the bullet. The second a deidicated track day car that will have no tax, no insurance and be trailer to track days.

But I'm racking my brains and cant think how to split it or which cars to go for

I have a budget of 20k ish. Id like to split this as near 50/50 as possible.

Car 1: 10-12k
Diesel
Less than 3 years old
Nice cruiser
Low emmisions the better
More toys the better
moderately entertaining if thats possible :D

Car 2: 8-10k
Track Car
Fast as u like
Handles like a go kart

Man of Honour
Car 1: Mercedes S320 CDI or BMW 530d. I will ignore less than 3 years old because 3 year old cars of this type will be a bit naff.
Car 2: Honda Integra Type R

Associate
OP
Last edited:

Zip

Zip

Soldato
[TW]Fox;11281153 said:
I will ignore less than 3 years old because 3 year old cars of this type will be a bit naff.

How so?:confused:

3 years old isnt exactly old?:confused:

Down here its still sold as a near new car(Especially a Merc or BMW) so what are you lot up there doing to them to make the "naff" cars in 3 years?

Associate
OP
How so?:confused:

3 years old isnt exactly old?:confused:

Down here its still sold as a near new car(Especially a Merc or BMW) so what are you lot up there doing to them to make the "naff" cars in 3 years?

I think he means 10k ish does get you a decent car less than 3 years old

Man of Honour

Becuase it wont have depreciated to £10k in less than 3 years.

Nothing wrong with 3 year old cars but the 3 year old cars I mentioned are £20k not £10k.

Associate
OP
Welcome to 2008. People have been doing this for years already, owning a track car/project car (or motorbike) and a normal commuters car.

I didnt day it was a revolutionary new concept. Just the only solution for me at the moment.

I owned an elise and punto :( for the same reason two years back.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Car 2: 8-10k
Track Car
Fast as u like
Handles like a go kart

Why buy something that handles "like" a go kart? Buy a real one. Check this site:
http://www.karting.co.uk/MP/

Most are a shed load cheaper than say a megablade and as you'd have something that fits nicely into a racing series, you can get involved in genuine competition.

Last edited:

Pug

Pug

Soldato
[TW]Fox;11281153 said:

not really what i'd call a "track car"

Would think a Westie would be a better choice, but dont get a bike powered one, get a V8 ;)

If you wanted something more like the 'teg, not FWD and with track performance, then a sorted RX7 should come in under budget, and would be a much better proposition.

But for pure track its all about a Westfield or super 7

could be a good look:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/388817.htm

Last edited:
Soldato
1. Buy totalled pre 73 classic with tasty/tunable engine and parts available (engine can be in any condition).
2. Construct kit car.
3. Repair parts from donor, replace if necessary.
4. Register on donor car's plate.

= No tax and no emissions test.

Back
Top Bottom