CCTV legal question

Soldato
As part of a project I'm working on at university, 3 network cameras (webcams with their own IP address) have been set up to monitor a laboratory that is used by 5 PhD students. Basically, a CCTV system that can be accessed from outside of the lab/university.

My tutor has asked me to create a declaration that needs to be signed by the PhD students and the staff that will use the cameras, to say that they are aware of the cameras, they accept they will be monitored etc etc.

The question I have is, is this necessary? Obviously CCTV is used everywhere, and people don't have to sign declarations etc to say 'sure, you can film me'. Obviously these places have to display signs to say CCTV is in operation, so people are aware of it.

I'm not sure whether some declaration needs to be created, or if it does, how 'legal' does it have to be i.e. drawn up by a solicitor or something.

Man of Honour
CCTV in buildings is under a security charter endorsed by law and licenced by BSIA. Since you don't hold the licence you'll have to declare it to them and obtain their permission owing to civil rights and all that malarky.

Associate
Talking from a media-esq point of view.

Using these webcams in a Uni lab is almost a breach of personal space. Just like setting up a webcam in someones house.

As for how legal it has to be. I'd just write up a few paragraphs saying something along the lines of

I <insert Phd students name> give full permission for <Deiwos> to film myself whilst in the Uni lab for the purposes of his Uni project.

I understand the footage will only be used for <insert what the footage will be used for here> and I will have no enitilement to any monies that may/will be made from the footage filmed. I will however be permitted to see the footage if I wish.

Signed <Phd Student>

Thats a VERY basic contract but would cover you.

Soldato
I <insert Phd students name> give full permission for <Deiwos> to film myself masturbate whilst in the Uni lab for the purposes of his Uni project.

I understand the footage will only be used for <insert what the footage will be used for here> and I will have no enitilement to any monies that may/will be made from the footage filmed. I will however be permitted to see the footage if I wish.

Signed <Phd Student>

fixed ;)

Soldato
OP
Talking from a media-esq point of view.

Using these webcams in a Uni lab is almost a breach of personal space. Just like setting up a webcam in someones house.

As for how legal it has to be. I'd just write up a few paragraphs saying something along the lines of

Thats a VERY basic contract but would cover you.

Yeah, we were aware of the breach of personal space, which is something I've had to look at and was a big part of the project proposal I had to submit.

Thanks for the info :)

Associate
The information comissioner's office has a code of practice for CCTV located here.

In particular, the Responsibilties section give guidance on what you need to tell people and what rights they have to view the images they record etc.
A word of warning: you are straying into areas covered by the FOIA and DPA and as such need to think very carefully about what images are available from off campus and whether you need to restrict access to the images in some way. Tread carefully.

Last edited:
Associate
I would say that this is something the university should be sorting out with its own legal people. There are a shed load of issues that may apply. For example is the monitoring part of a research project? then it will need to take account of the fact that there are human subjects. If it is to provide some cover for untrust worthy Ph.D. students then there are security and health and saftey issues.

I don't want to appear unkind, but if you have to ask here about this, then you are not in a position to draft any sort of legal agreement for this situation. So pass the buck quickly is my advice.

Soldato
OP
I would say that this is something the university should be sorting out with its own legal people. There are a shed load of issues that may apply. For example is the monitoring part of a research project? then it will need to take account of the fact that there are human subjects. If it is to provide some cover for untrust worthy Ph.D. students then there are security and health and saftey issues.

I don't want to appear unkind, but if you have to ask here about this, then you are not in a position to draft any sort of legal agreement for this situation. So pass the buck quickly is my advice.

That was my initial thought when my tutor asked me to do this. It was him who proposed the project, and I didn't think it right for me to be doing the legal aspect of this, since it's such a touchy subject.

With regards to the purpose of the project. The cameras have been installed for the purpose of security (the lab doesn't have any currently), H&S (the lab has dangerous equipment so being able to see whats happening and if someone is injured etc is important) and the PhD students will be able to monitor their experiments remotely (not crucial to the project).

I've already had a verbal agreement from the PhD students that they're ok with it, so I just need something in writing, but like I said, I'm not sure it's me that should be doing that.

Associate
I've already had a verbal agreement from the PhD students that they're ok with it, so I just need something in writing, but like I said, I'm not sure it's me that should be doing that.

Definitely not. As andywalsh and myself have posted, there are rafts of issues and legal hurdles to clear with stuff like this, it's tough enough to do if you have experience of sorting it all out beforehand.

Soldato
OP
so for example if someone broke into your car, and you got em on cctv, and you didnt have a sign up saying cctv in operation or whatever, you cant do anything about it?

I'm not the best person to ask, but I know from when we had just had CCTV installed at home, we had the car broken into, and the police wanted nothing to do with the videotape as we didn't have anything up saying CCTV in operation.

Back
Top Bottom