TalkTalk Broadband modem connectivity

Associate
Hi,

I have the TalkTalk Broadband SpeedTouch modem (wired version and about a year old).
There are two connections at the back. The first connect to the phone line.
The second connects to my desktop PC (RJ11 at modem to USB on PC, if I remember correctly).

I would like to use my works laptop via broadband but do not know the best way to get it physically connected to the TalkTalk modem.
I am happy to keep this wired modem as my phoneline, modem and PC are very close.

Can anyone advise please on my option(s) inc new hardware required.

Thanks.

Associate
Any reason you can't connect to the USB port on your work laptop?

If you wanted your laptop and desktop connected to the internet at the same time then you could either replace the modem with a router (wireless or wired) and build a network, or you could run a patch cable from your desktop to your laptop and share the internet over that connection.

Soldato
Your best bet is to network the two machines togehter (Either wireslessly or wired). Does you laptop have a wireless card? Does it have a network card? Does your PC have either of these?

If not, your PC would requires a standard PCI Network card, your laptop would require a PCMCIA network card. Then to link them a crossover (RJ45) cable will be needed.

Once networked, (I'll assume they are running 2000/XP or later?) you can share the internet connection.

Associate
OP
Hi guys,

Thanks for your advice so far.

A correction: the modem's RJ11 connector goes to the phone line and a direct cable from the modem goes to the USB connector.

I have tried connecting the modem to the laptop USB port but got message that hardware was unrecognised. The ADSL led was off and the USB led was flashing red (usually both are green and stable). I guess this is a problem that I need to look into as it's a work's laptop and I have no administrator rights on it ie. I personally can't add/delete any applications, etc. I have a VPN client on the laptop.

Would I get around this problem if the laptop was connected to the destop using their ethernet ports (and a cross-over cable)? Both devices have ethernet ports (not wireless) btw. Would that mean that I do not then need to have the SpeedTouch application on my laptop as it's using the one from the desktop? Just a thought.

If I was to connect both devices this way, what would I need to do on both laptop and destop so that I can share the internet connection? If it means any changes on the laptop eg. getting it's IP address, then again, I'm unable to do that due to restrictions atm. I may be able to get admin rights temporarily to get this done but i'll have to check.

I'm using Windows XP on both devices.

Thanks again.

Soldato
you just need to setup ICS (internet connection sharing) on your desktop. look in network connections on your desktop, you should see your isp connection listed as a "dial up" connection (this is normal for usb modems). you can right click it and select share if i remember rightly. and you don't have to do a thing on your laptop - it *should* pick up an ip from your desktop and just work. saying that i have no idea if VPNs complicate anything. i have no idea how they work. :o

Associate
This all depends on how the laptop's network card is configured. If it has a fixed IP address then you will not be able to connect it to your home PC very easily, but if it is set to 'Obtain an IP address automatically' then you will be OK.

This is how my work laptop is setup (large US Healthcare Co) and I connect it to my home network without any bother.

To check the settings go to Control Panel, select Network Connections, Right Click on 'Local Area Connection' and select Properties. In the middle of the window is a list of 'items used by this Connection', scroll down the bottom to 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)', highlight it and click properties yet again, now you can see the IP address details. You may get a message saying you do not have adequate rights to change things, but you will able to see the settings.

If it is set to 'automatic' come back here for more!

Associate
OP
I'm back...and I still need to setup ICS (internet connection sharing) between my works laptop and home desktop PCs.

Further advice appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Caporegime
What have you actually done?

What marc2003 says is all you need to do, enable ICS and connect the machines together and you should be good to go. There's a guide here.

Associate
OP
Hi Tolien,

Thanks for the link.

I did finally manage to get my works laptop connected via broadband but not thro ICS, I did have a look at the guide.

I ensured that the TalkTalk modem application was loaded on my laptop. Then I connected my USB broadband modem directly into the a USB port on my laptop, selected TalkTalk and got a connection. I launched my VPN client and this worked.

I got a result, which is fine, but not how I originally thought it would connect.
As I occasionally work from home, I don't mind swapping the modem between my desktop and works laptop but I think I should consider getting a router now.

Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom