Sold the 40D time for a D300

Associate
I couldn't help it im been a Canon user for some time now but after handling & a quick shoot the D300 what you see in the sig is now sold 10 mins ago so there's nice wad of cash on my desk :cool:.

So Tuesday im going picking up D300 body and Nikkor 17-55mm F2.8 lens.

As i now have enuf to cover both the camera and the lens.

also im wondering is it worth buying the grip for the D300 as it felt pretty good on it own in my hands mainly for extra battery life.

Associate
OP
Not to fussed about loosing the glass to be honest, some people will proberly say im silly as the 40D is a good camera but to be honest the D300 is much better the VGA screen and 51 focus points alone do it for me.

Soldato
Not to fussed about loosing the glass to be honest, some people will proberly say im silly as the 40D is a good camera but to be honest the D300 is much better the VGA screen and 51 focus points alone do it for me.
What have you got your eyes on for replacements then? :D

Soldato
also im wondering is it worth buying the grip for the D300 as it felt pretty good on it own in my hands mainly for extra battery life.

I would reccomend the Battery Grip. But.. to get the full capabilities out of the grip, you will need; The grip, BL-3 Door, ENEL4a battery and ENEL4a charger. And before you know it, you have spent a serious amount of money on a grip (Over £500). So yes, the grip makes the camera even better to handle, but it is pricey. Congratulations on the move to the Darkside btw. :)

Associate
OP
cheers i might pass on the grip then lol so hows the QC on Nikkon glass as i knows with canon even with L glass ya got bad copies

Associate
Yes unless you have the right batteries you don't get the full 8fps.
If it is just extra battery life then just buy a spare one. an uprated 1620mAh EN-EL3e can be had for £20. Avoid the auction site ones that claim to be 2000+mAh.

I have a D200 and manage just fine with a spare battery. The D300 battery life is supposed to be much better too.
My mate has a 40D and I have had a good play with it and although I was an EOS user I just found the D200/300 to be far more user friendly with dedicated dials & switches rather than button-dial-menu.

Nikon glass is great but needs more choice.
No 70-200L f/4 equivalent for starters.
I find the Fred Miranda and Thom Hogan sites are best for honest reviews.

Soldato
what are you going to do when the next canon body comes out that's better then the d300?

The D300 is -- IMO anyway -- one of those rare camera which makes you think twice about the camera you're using. Yes, it's expensive, but Nikon are (according to Thom Hogan anyway) making about 70k a month and managing to sell them. For a DSLR that's rather impressive, especially given the price. No doubt it explains the substantial cuts on the 40D recently.

Ultimately we all waste money endlessly, whether it's on cars which depreciate, cameras which are worthless ten minutes later, or on Easter eggs which make us lardy. Given that lenses retain quite a lot of their value though, switching camera systems may not be as wasteful as many other ways to tear up tenners.

Andrew McP... switching between D300 and 40D roughly once every fifteen minutes at the moment. ;)

Soldato
D300 without the grip is a joy to hold, D300 with the grip is bloody orgasmic! You can get the grip's for a lot less than RRP too from the UK if you hunt around, cheaper than the HK auctions when you add the postage.

Also, you'll definitely want to invest in a decent strap, the D300+80-200mm F/2.8 on the Nikon strap will feel like it's cutting into your neck like cheese-wire after a while :(.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
I've never heard of this 80-200 people are talking about. Does that have VR? Is it one of the new ones or are you talking about the 70-200 f/2.8 VR?

edit: ignore me
I must google before I post

Associate
OP
if you search a certian auction site there are plenty of replacment straps on there they basically thicker & more padded the part that goes round your neck.

Associate
OP
Well tomoz is the big day i can't wait im even considering pulling a sicky from work so i can go to the local lake and take some pictures of er DUCKS lol.

Also tomoz is the day i get my C2D 8400 from here lol so even more reason not to go work :p

Plus it my birthday aswell tomoz so 3 good reason not to go work ha ha

Back
Top Bottom