0.25Mbps!!!

Associate
Yup, thats all I get for £18.99 a month on BT Broadband :eek:

I'm at the end of a rural exchange in Scotland (Muirhead) and there is no cable either. The connection is all but unusable at peak times.

I've read elsewhere that some people are using the 3 network to connect to the Internet via their mobile phones. Is this a viable alternative for me?

I'd need internet sharing for other PCs and ideally unlimited downloads. My BT tie-in period is at an end.

Comments welcome :)

-----------------------------------------

BT Linetest Result:

BT Total Broadband brings you download speeds of up to 8Mb
We have tested your line to see what speed is available for you.

We've just tested your line and can confirm your line supports the UK's most complete broadband package, BT Total Broadband and we can confirm that you will be able to reach a maximum download speed of 0.25 Mbps.
Download speeds are dependent on a number of factors such as the distance between your telephone exchange to your house or how many people are using broadband at the same time. BT Total Broadband will always give you the maximum download speed available to your line based on these factors.

Changes to your BT Total Broadband service
Your current package: BT Total Broadband Option 3

Associate
OP
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I'll look into Tmobile, but from some of the replies 3 might not be available or be too slow or be capped:(

The kids play games online (Xbox360), so I need the speed and bandwidth.

I will be leaving BT this month, just not sure if there is any viable alternative.

Thanks again [J]

PS speedtest gave me this result this morning:

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup, thats all I get for £18.99 a month on BT Broadband :eek:

I'm at the end of a rural exchange in Scotland (Muirhead) and there is no cable either. The connection is all but unusable at peak times.

I've read elsewhere that some people are using the 3 network to connect to the Internet via their mobile phones. Is this a viable alternative for me?

I'd need internet sharing for other PCs and ideally unlimited downloads. My BT tie-in period is at an end.

Comments welcome :)

-----------------------------------------

BT Linetest Result:

BT Total Broadband brings you download speeds of up to 8Mb
We have tested your line to see what speed is available for you.

We've just tested your line and can confirm your line supports the UK's most complete broadband package, BT Total Broadband and we can confirm that you will be able to reach a maximum download speed of 0.25 Mbps.
Download speeds are dependent on a number of factors such as the distance between your telephone exchange to your house or how many people are using broadband at the same time. BT Total Broadband will always give you the maximum download speed available to your line based on these factors.

Changes to your BT Total Broadband service
Your current package: BT Total Broadband Option 3

Hi there

Are you sure you cant get cable?

My brother in laws in Dundee as well - he's on Virgin Cable and tells me it pretty much covers the whole Dundee area. Have a look here - and here it'll tell you exactly whats available in your particular area. The line stats you've posted show your downstream connection speed at just a shade under half a Mb so hopefully you'll still have other options open to you.

Soldato
Does your router / modem give line stats, i.e. attenuation and SNR margin figures?

If you can only get 512k broadband I think it's pretty unlikely that you're in a 3 coverage area.

Associate
OP
Thanks again for all the replies, very much appreciated.

Not sure about my router features, but I'll check (It's a Netgear DG834GT).

I'm about 7 miles outside Dundee, so no cable:

Virgin test:

Wherever you live, we're there
You can get Virgin Media services wherever you live! Your home is in a non-cable area, so that means you can choose any of our great non-cable services and we'll deliver them down your BT phoneline.

3 Turbo Coverage looks possible, although it's on the periphery - see http://www.three.co.uk/personal/coverage_/coverageChecker.do and use postcode dd2 5gf

Latest speedtest:

Last edited:
Permabanned
you think thats bad look what i have to put up with

250883728.png

Back
Top Bottom