Project: Little Rascal - Mini-ITX Gaming Rig

Associate
OP
Hey hey everyone.

Sorry for the delay of the update, i have been distracted by things such as my Team Fortress 2 Map, looking for a job, and also someone introduced me to EVE.

Not much has happened work wise. that said the designs are nearly 100% complete and majority of the stuff that i need to start construction has arrived or is on its way :)

For everyone that cares, the Aluminium has arrived. I found a nice little website that i got all my aluminium for around £60.

rod.jpg

I decided to get a 2cm diameter aluminium rod so that i can use it for the bend at the top of the case. Sadly it only came in a 2m length, most of which i will not be able to use :(

sheet.jpg

The case is going to be created from 2 750mmx750mm Aluminium sheets which can be seen above and below. Just so you get an idea i decided to use my shoes to show the scale... which are size 13UK

sheets.jpg

Im a bit worried about the thickness of the Aluminium sheets. I have planned to use 2mm thick sheets and ive ordered to match, but they just look a bit too thin for the look i was aiming to get. Though i shall slave on and see what it looks like. As it looks right in the model im hoping it will do once its built.

thickness.jpg

Now onto the Tools. I have most of the tools that i require for the build, though i have just ordered some more to make it. I am still waiting on the the needle files, g clamps, rubber mallet (to help with the bending if needed), unibond double sided tape and masking tape and marker to do the marking up.

The bench isnt much but i havent got much room to work in and i needed something that i could stow away when im not using it. Im hoping it should be enough, if not ill have to buy another one :(

toolssofar.jpg

Now onto the modified designs. Ive decided to scrap the knuckle duster designs as it did look a bit over the top and didnt go with the visual clean line look of the overall design. Ive come up with some new designs incorporating the 3 circles for the switch i need.

The left designs are just a window, though the right designs are to incorporate a long vfd if i can find one that will fit. Ive had to mess around with the positioning of the vfd as I was worred (and a few people who commented) on the clearance behind the vfd for the cables.

At the moment i am leaning towards the middle left design as i think the vfd would be more of a gimmick as i wouldnt use it that much. though feel free to let me know what you guys think.

panel2.jpg

As the main construction of my case will be made by folding aluminium to create a more sturdy and stable chassis, i decided to create a mock layout of the design for the complete case over the 2 sheets of aluminium.

Below you can see the unfolded view of the main chassis and below that you can see how all the designs currently are laid out over the 2 750mm sheets.

unfolded.jpg

Associate
OP
From the image below you can also see how the PSU Caddy, HDD Caddy and the Radiator shroud will be cut out and how they will be bent/folded into shape.

There will be seams on the Radiator shroud, and small seams on the psu caddy which will either be rivetted and/or filled in using bondo so they look right.

fold.jpg

Ive only set these up today and will most likely change ever so slightly the next time you see them. Im already thinking about adding a 10mm-15mm length along the back, top and bottom of the case that will be folded up to hide the lighting behind and to mount the side panel onto it aswell.

Hope you guys like the update and im hoping to start marking up the aluminium on Monday when the last delivery arrives, which also gives me more time to tweak and double check all the designs and make final decisions before the work starts. Im hoping to start on construction of the case by hopefully Wednesday given that everything goes to plan.

Ive had a conversation with a few guys on [H]OCP about the audio problem that i may face and which 5.1 usb audio card solution i could use which could be mounted within the case and just look like part of the internals. If anyone has got any ideas and suggestions on which ones to look out for and take into consideration i would be thankful.

Another thing im having issues on deciding is Sand/Grit Paper. As i want a very smooth finish, what grit papers should i go from and which grit papers i should finish on. I was looking at 40-80-100-120-140, but im not sure if i will need to go upto 320 grit and space it out a bit further.

Anyway, until next time. Feel free to leave comments as they are glady welcome.

Caporegime
I think you would be better off etching the 'little rascal' logo into the window rather than cutting it out of the sheet metal. Leaves you with the clean lines all around the window, and allows for a more intricate design on the window...

Associate
OP
Yeah i was talking about that with someone on another forum which this log is posted on. My idea is to cut the panel with the middle left as thats the one im leaning towards at the moment, and if it doesnt look right just dremel off the lettering and sand it down so i land up with the top left design.

Soldato
i like the very 1st one personally, i like the smooth edges and there isnt really a need for the gap in the 2nd design.

also if the designs have been redone can we get some updated pictures?

Associate
OP
Small update for you all.

As i was about to head out to go back to Bristol for the weekend a parcel arrived. 4 days earlier then expected i got the last bits of my tools....

toolsarrived.jpg

Also a few people wanted updated overall views of the case.... now with added feet :) So here they are

new1.jpg

new2.jpg

new3.jpg

Until next week

Associate
I think you might have some problems with the "little Rascale" lettering, it will by flimsy, bend and falll of with time, easy to screw up.

you migh want to consider reversing it, i.e. make them cut outs in the case with a nice border, it will help the case be a bit more ridged.

if your wored about the alluminum, flexing to much, put some full returns on the eddges of each hole, it will help more than you think.

Soldato
Really nice work so far. Really like the design, though I'd use a more exciting font for the text, and it might look better cut out of the aluminium imo if you know what I mean?. Is the writing going to be laser cut?

Subscribed. :)

Associate
OP
No this isnt an illusion, i am back and with a small update, though more to follow :)

First off, sorry for the lack of updates, this has been due to the real world getting in the way and a lot less time on my hands thanks to my new job.

There have been a few small changes to the design which was done during the marking out process. The case is now 1cm wider as i was a bit concerned about the prospect of the WC block for the GFX being a bit tight. Also the PSU Structure support has been extended by 1cm on the depth to accomodate for a slightly larger PSU.

Also what im using for the main motherboard has changed slightly. Instead of going with Portwell, i am now going with a new lovely board from Commell, which has everything i need on (apart from 8gb support which im not going to get anytime soon :p) Heres a picture of the beauty...

commell.jpg

I took some pictures of the marking up that i done last night, not sure if you will be able to see a lot of the detail but will have some more up this weekend once the cutting has commenced and theres some more detailed pictures of the pieces.

markout1.jpg

markout2.jpg

There we some mistakes and sadly i dont have a rubber around so had to go over it in masking tape again. Im hoping i will have some time tonight to start the cutting but im not sure if the blades that came with the jigsaw are for wood or for softmetals, though there are 2 types so i will see if i get on.

Associate
Good luck. Can't wait to see it. I thought I was going to have my hoojum finished well before you but now I cant get my hands on any for under £100 I'm a bit screwed.

Back
Top Bottom