Please suggest good HDD watercooling?

Associate
OP
I'm going to use it to quiten my HDD. If i insulate my HDD it will just burn up but if i put a watercooler on the HDD and then wrap it all up in insulation then it should be fine.

Associate
OP
The ready made silencers are too easy, I want a bit of a challenge in modding it myself. I've ordered the Asetek cooler. If this works out well i will be able to get rid of one more case fan which was cooling the HDD and also the noise of the HDD will be gone. At the moment the HDD is the most noisy in my setup.

Soldato
You could make your own cooler then insulate to sound proof, how are your plumbing skills?

mkhdd2max03klein4af.jpg
mkhdd4max024008fq.jpg

mkhdd10xtra08k0ou.jpg
mkhdd10xtra04k4me.jpg

Associate
OP
Doesn't stop the clicking of the head on seek or the whine of the higher RPM drives though - only the chassis vibration.

That's exactly what I want to achieve. I've already soft mounted my drives but it's the mechanichal sound from inside the drives that I want to get rid off.

You could make your own cooler then insulate to sound proof, how are your plumbing skills?

mkhdd2max03klein4af.jpg
mkhdd4max024008fq.jpg

mkhdd10xtra08k0ou.jpg
mkhdd10xtra04k4me.jpg

That's a very nice design! My soldering skills are not too bad, just a question of finding such thick copper plates? Don't think a local B&Q would have them.

Associate
OP
^^^^^What the hell - it's massive, would a normal sort of pump be man enough for that of system?

I don't think that that plumbing work creates a lot or resistance in the smaller versions, the pipes are nice and wide and the bends are rounded and not L shaped.

Soldato
That's exactly what I want to achieve. I've already soft mounted my drives but it's the mechanichal sound from inside the drives that I want to get rid off.

In which case you won't do much better than:

SY-000-GJ_400.jpg

and if you really must watercool it (not necessary as long as you have a little airflow in your case: then the silentstar dual hd cooler, as mentioned previously is probably the product of choice.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I've got the Asetek Waterchill hard drive cooler. It came with some small opening compression fittings which i've ripped out and will fit 1/2" barbs.
I've used 2cm thick rubber to make a casing for the hard drive, hopefully no noise will escape through that.

Back
Top Bottom