Recommend me a £300 hybrid bike please.

Soldato
Recommend me a £500 hybrid bike please.

We've just started doing the cycle scheme at work, and I'm looking at getting a hybrid. 80% of my trip is main roads, 20% cutting through paths/some slightly rough bits.

Been into my local bike shop today, and they recommended the Ridgeback Velocity, this one - http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/index.php?bikeID=15&seriesID=37&show_bike=TRUE

Anyone got any experiences of that bike, or any other recommendations please? Thanks. :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
Look for a hybrid with solid frame and forks, you don't want suspension. Also one with higher gearing, and a longer top tube (you don't want to be sitting near upright)

Associate
Look for a hybrid with solid frame and forks, you don't want suspension. Also one with higher gearing, and a longer top tube (you don't want to be sitting near upright)

Why are you so sure he wants/needs higher gearing and a more upright position? :confused:

Broona, what sports do you do and how would you rate your fitness and flexibility? Is your priority comfort and stability in the bike or are you interested in something more sporting?

Permabanned
Why are you so sure he wants/needs higher gearing and a more upright position?

MTB gearing is too low for road use, if a Hybrid has MTB size front triple most of the gears from the first rung are way too low. You want gears towards road bikes, so you have usable gears for higher speeds. As for crouching, since you're riding on the road you might want a slight crouched position, as it helps reduce drag. Some hybrids are similar to commuters (really short top tube) Riding at speed sitting upright whilst riding into the wind is unbearable, every gust will slow you down to a halt.

Soldato
Under budget: Revolution Courier Race

Over budget: Boardman Hybrid Comp

Both are nice and light (weighing in at around 24lb each), have fast-rolling 700c road tyres (28mm on the Boardman and 32mm on the Revolution), accept both mudguards and racks (although the Boardman doesn't have as much clearance as the Revolution) and will see you scything through the traffic on the way to work. Fine on the tarmac but you wouldn't want to go anywhere more off-road than the odd towpath.

Soldato
After spending 4 years working in a shop - The Velocity is a awsome bike for the money.

Really really light and nippy bike.

Only thing i will say is get into shops and try the bikes. Take them for about a 1mile ride and see what you like the most.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the replies.

My fitness level on a scale of 1 to 10 would be 3-4 I'm afraid, the only exercise I do is walking the dog!

My commute will only be approximately 2 miles each way, so I don't think I'll need to worry too much about frame geometry and gearing, even though it'll probably take me about 20 minutes each way! :p

I'll look into the other bikes mentioned too, see if anything takes my fancy.

As for setting up the scheme, I'd just point your employer over here - http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/ and badger them until they set it up! ;)

Soldato
OP
Me again! :p

Having problems getting any Specialized in any local bike shops except for Evans, and there's no way I'll be buying a bike from one of their 'experts' (they recommended me a single speed when I told them I was really unfit!), so I'm now looking at Giant instead.

I've taken this one - http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/lifestyle/2139/31775/ for a spin, and really like it, bit more than I was originally looking to pay, but thinking I may as well take proper advantage of the scheme.

Anyone got any opinions on Giant bikes at all, hopefully this one in particular? Cheers. :)

Soldato
OP
Giant are good bikes, cheaper than bigger brands. Since you're looking at £500 bikes I'd recommend GIANT FCR 1

Thanks again, I had looked at those too, but wasn't sure if it would be too much 'road bike' for me? Would the FCR be suitable for someone totally unfit like myself, as the gearing looks to be considerably higher than the CRS?

Permabanned
MTB gearing on road is generally too low, you'll never use the smallest front sprocket. I rarely use the smallest one on my Giant road bike either. In fact 95% of the time I'm on the middle front sprocket. Smallest front sprocket is only for steep climbs, and largest front for 28mph+ No way would you stay on the smallest front on the flats, you'd be only doing sub 10mph. Remember you wouldn't use smallest front, smallest rear as the chain will be at a steep angle (damage the chain) so probably last two or three rear sprockets you would change up the middle one.

53/42/30T front
12-25 rear

but wasn't sure if it would be too much 'road bike' for me?

It'll be nipper than a city bike, those CRS are pretty heavy. So climbs will be easier. Also higher rolling speed, less resistance.

Soldato
OP
How would it be in a slightly off road situation, ie a compacted gravel track alongside the river, and the odd rough footpath too?

I think in all honesty that anything more than the CRS would be overkill for me, it's only a 4 mile round trip into work, and any weekend cycling will be alongside the wife on her old Townsend MTB.

I am open minded on the FCR though, as it does look lovely!

Permabanned
Road bikes are fine for hard compacted gravel (like tennis courts) and also dry flat mud paths, but once they become wet mud tracks with ruts- forget it.

Soldato
OP
Road bikes are fine for hard compacted gravel (like tennis courts) and also dry flat mud paths, but once they become wet mud tracks with ruts- forget it.

Cheers again for the info.

Think I'll have a look at the FCR too, but it'll be the FCR2 and not the FCR1, can't really see anything in the specs to make it worth my while paying an extra £100 for it. :)

Back
Top Bottom