Thinking about getting a Golf GT

Soldato
myself personally have never liked the idea of buying a second hand car, or second hand clothes, or second hand anything for that matter

I can't help myself; you sir are a model consumer chump. That kind of attitude is just ridiculous, your whole concept of money/value/reusability is out the window.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;11424581 said:
I used to be a bit like you when I first joined these forums. I thought I knew everything becuase I read What Car or whatever. Then I realised it made me look like an idiot and got out and actually drove some cars for myself and formed my own opinions. It's lots better.

A Bit??!?! you were him!

He's your padawan.
you love him.
;)

Soldato
First things first, sig updated :D

Secondly, FOX I love you. I still think your one hell of a BMW fanboy, but hey you have a great car there and Im a Jap fanboy :)

HAHAHAHH the sitting in 1000 cars still has me chuckling. I have to say that I have been bought up with a bit of a silver spoon, but it seems like psycho really is a wana be upper class guy, who thinks what car, other reviews, and sitting in a car gives him ample evidence to argue about how great value this golf is for £18k, £18 THOUSAND POUNDS.

You may not be a fan of those cars Mrlol posted on ths first page, but just loko at the machines you are getting for your money. A brand new car does depreciate ridiculously quickly, and 2/3 years is the earliest I would buy a car, and spend the rest on servicing, insurance, tax, and mods. Please just listen to some peoples opinions, as there are a lot of people telling you what a waste of money that new golf is.

I had a job in the summer driving cars around an airfield, and this gave me HUGE experience in actually driving the cars I knew soo much about technically. I drove focuses, modeos, and pretty much every model from SEAT (1-2years old), VWs (few years old), Peugots (ditto), chrysler, Honda, and ALL Mercs except the AMG versions. Now that is some experience, and I do have to say that the golf gti was my favourite, but as a second hand car it would be great if you could get one for a good price. But the most bonkers car I drove was the chrysler 300C SRT-8 with over 400bhp coming out of its sweet V8. Now Im just boasting, but at least I have test driven many many cars and have managed to assess them over a long period of time.

As a small note, peugots are very poor (206,207,307,308,407 etc) and the chrysler crossfire is really really bad. MKV golf gti, and especially leon cupra are fantastic, and the merc S500 is just soo comfortable.

Associate
Again i cant comment on the recent golf as i've only owned older ones. But if you were perhaps after a little excitement how about an astra 888?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/427061.htm

Good price and pretty low milage. And these will hold their value well as they are limited edition. I would love one of these. Don't know what they are like for build etc but i think they are cool.

Soldato
A Bit??!?! you were him!

He's your padawan.
you love him.
;)

'you were'??? don't you mean 'you still are'... :)

And Psycho Sonny, I thought he was being unfairly picked on in another thread, but darn it, he just keeps digging himself deeper and deeper, he'll have an aussie accent next if he's not careful :)

Permabanned
my polo did exactly the same thing. Winder mechanism broke resulting in ithe glass falling off the runners and staying inside the door, even when the window was wound back up.

I think I remember reading that this was something to do with plastic clips that broke. Dealers replaced them with metal ones when the car was put in for repair. Ho hum.

the chrysler crossfire is really really bad.

A guy across the road from me has bought one of these :eek: It looks "interesting" - I'll give it that.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Now that is some experience, and I do have to say that the golf gti was my favourite, but as a second hand car it would be great if you could get one for a good price. But the most bonkers car I drove was the chrysler 300C SRT-8 with over 400bhp coming out of its sweet V8. Now Im just boasting, but at least I have test driven many many cars and have managed to assess them over a long period of time.

i think thats something ive perhaps not stressed enough

Im not saying why buy a golf, you should buy a lotus elise

Im just trying to make you realise just how much money 18k is. its a lot of money, and second hand buys you a lot of car

If you really do like the Golf GT TDI so much, save yourself 5 grand (about 30 %) and buy one second hand. You have to be bonkers to spend 18k on a car, when 13k buys you exactly the same thing, but just with a bit of stigma that "its been used by somebody else".

Soldato
I wish I could say I've sat in over 1000 cars :( ;) I've sat in a Porsche 911 Carrera S though. That car obviously represents excellent value for money! ;)

I also wish I had anywhere near 18 grand to blow on a car :/ It sure as heck wouldn't be a Golf if I did!

Soldato
What on earth are you jibbering on about?

You know the Golf TDI? Well there is the possibility of a 140 bhp and a 170 bhp version, honest you should check it out!!

So as you can see from the following text

I would advise NEVER to get the 170, they are so terrible.

That's me *waves*, giving the opinion that the 170bhp version is NOT the one to go for. Would you like a definition of the word NOT?

If you want the power just remap the 140, you'll even get 1 or 2 mpg better whereas the 170 just fails.

So now we are down to this bit, what this means is you can get the same power as the 170 through a remap of the 140. However you still get the fuel economy, in the 170 the fuel economy is not impressive for the power gain over the 140, hence; fails.

Though the 170 is fast it's not worth it and a remap often causes problems.

So this bit means that if you get a remap on a 170 it often causes problems.

Understand or me still speakka no de engleeesh?

Btw OP: What exactly are you looking for in a car? fuel economy? looks?

Soldato
You know the Golf TDI? Well there is the possibility of a 140 bhp and a 170 bhp version, honest you should check it out!!

So as you can see from the following text

That's me *waves*, giving the opinion that the 170bhp version is NOT the one to go for. Would you like a definition of the word NOT?

So now we are down to this bit, what this means is you can get the same power as the 170 through a remap of the 140. However you still get the fuel economy, in the 170 the fuel economy is not impressive for the power gain over the 140, hence; fails.

So this bit means that if you get a remap on a 170 it often causes problems.

Understand or me still speakka no de engleeesh?

Btw OP: What exactly are you looking for in a car? fuel economy? looks?

TBH, your post before looked like it had been written by a 5 year old....i didn't understand it either.

Somehow from
we were supposed to understand you meant
You still get the fuel economy, in the 170 the fuel economy is not impressive for the power gain over the 140

Now that you've actually explained it it makes a bit more sense. :)

Soldato
Seriously, You want to still pay 18k on a Golf? If you still do, get a GTI for 15k and spend 3k on petrol/insurance increase.

And Psycho Sonny, I'm only 22 and even I know that the world doesnt end at a brand new Golf 1.9TDi. For that price if I HAD to buy new i'd be getting a Focus Titanium 2.0 diesel with the Powershift, or even an ST!

Associate
I was looking at Golf GT Sport (TSI version) a few months back and must say the service from the stealers were abysmal, was totally ignored at 1 of them and other other 2 has blatently reached their month's sales target and refuse to do the car at anything less than list price. So I went and bought another car instead, their loss.

Will probably never go into a VW dealership ever again unless they bring out something really special

Associate
Strange, my mates Mk4 golf did exactly the same thing.

I've never known this to happen on any other car. (I'm sure it has though).

I've had the same thing happen to my Mk4 golf on both windows(along with all the usual faults). The first time it happened VW accepted it was a fault on their part and I only paid for the parts(£30~) the second time it happend to the other window I was 5 days outside of the warranty for those parts and they contributed nothing hence a bill for £145.

Needless to say I won't be buying VW again.

Back
Top Bottom