So... do you believe in fate?

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Not really. It simply means 'what happens happens'. It doesn't mean anything unless you start trying to make nothing out of something.

The only possible definition of "what will be will be" is "that's just the way things go, no matter what". Which is the same as saying no-one has any real control over any situation.

Man of Honour
The only possible definition of "what will be will be" is "that's just the way things go, no matter what". Which is the same as saying no-one has any real control over any situation.
Not at all. It says what ever the result of the situation, is the result of the situation. It doesn't say that there is only one result.

Associate
What is freaky is I was thinking if fate exists about an hour ago :p

However I don't believe in fate. There's that many things going on at once in the world; so due to the law of averages, 'coincidences' have to occur every now and then.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
that first thing doesn't prove fate, how many people set or say stuff like that and then don't die - that doesn't get mentioned.

if she was drunk and drove into a pole then that's why she died, because she was drink driving, not fate. she was dumb.

Associate
well i dont know if its fate but im coming to the realisation that "everything happens for a reason"...if i just sit and go crazy analysing all the strange things that have happened it wont get me newher.. but "things happen for a reason" help me forgive and forget i guess!

but no, i do not like the thought that i am not in control of my life decisions :|

Man of Honour
I don't believe in anything paranormal but for some strange reason I believe in fate.

Fate can only explain how I have just got my latest job.
Fate can only explain how I ended up with the band I've stayed with for 8 years.
Fate can only explain how I met my life partner who I've been with for 34 years.

Soldato
Why not? It's perfectly plausible. What makes any of us think we have control over our decisions? The only reason we think we have free will is that the concept of not having free will is terrifying to most of us.

Well I am open minded about it, I like to think that choices are made by our own will yes, and I believe that because scientific fact tells me that my brain makes these choices out of experience, knowledge, emotions and the situation I'm in. But then, you could question that with, how did your life (or brain if you will) come around to knowing or not knowing the right choices and skills to go about the occasion or event that has happened? Choices you made or Fate?

It could keep going on forever (what doohickey said I guess), its not a black and white yes or no. But I lean to believe its no.

Last edited:

GeX

GeX

Soldato
fate is just another one of them made up constructs of the human mind to try and justify and create a semblance of balance in the world - more often than not when people can't accept that **** happens

Back
Top Bottom