"Network Cable Unplugged" But it isent

Associate
Hi there.

I turned my computer on this morning to find that there was no internet connectivity.

I checked the network settings and it says that the network cable is unplugged, which it isent.

Ive tried the cable in different ports on the router. Ive checked the cable on this laptop to make sure it was working, Ive uninstalled the network card and reinstalled, but with no luck. Ive updated the driver, but still no luck.

Im at a loss about what could be causing this.

Its an Onboard Realtec using windows vista 64bit.

Its been working for the past 5 months and just suddenly stopped working.

Associate
What Motherboard is it ??

I have an asus motherboard and apparently there is a bug where the onboard lan's go into sleep mode and wont wake from it.

The soloution is to power pc down , remove power lead , and press start button and reset button and hold them down for 30 seconds , then power back up and everything is ok.

Mine has done this in the past and as silly as it seems it actually works , apparently it discharges the capacitors on the motherboard and resets the wake on lan / sleep on lan feature on the motherboard.

If you aint got an Asus board , dont suppose there is no harm in tryin....

Soldato
Try this

1. Unistall the network card from device manager
2. Go into BIOS and disable the onboard network
3. Boot fully into Windows
4. Shutdown , not restart
5. Turn PC back on, reenable onboard network
6. Book to windows, let it redetect and install the network card.

Kimbie

Soldato
fuinnily enough my P35-DS3R did exactly the same,

just threw a standalong card in and its working fine

onboard port is still dead tho

Soldato
fuinnily enough my P35-DS3R did exactly the same,

just threw a standalong card in and its working fine

onboard port is still dead tho

I don't think it's dead TBH. What happened in my case was that a Windows Update installed a NIC update, this update seemed to hide my currently installed NIC which was still working and sourcing an IP address from my router and installed a new NIC but as the old NIC was still active but hidden the newly installed NIC wouldn't work properly.

The first time round I removed all references to the old/new NIC in the registry and deleted the visbile NIC in Device Manager, then rebooted, this fixed it but the Windows Update went in again the next day and it screwed it up again. So this time I did a System Restore and got the latest drivers off the Marvel site, installed the latest drivers and alls been fine.

Associate
OP
Sorry for the Late Reply Guys,

I removed the driver and uninstaled the Nic, and I disabled the Onboard Nic in the Bios, I took the Power cable out and left if off for 30 seconds.

Powered the computer up, Re-Enabled it through the Bios, Let windows Install the driver and it worked.

Thanks for the help Guys.

Back
Top Bottom