Spec me an... anti virus

Soldato
Hey all,
So I've been almost two months without a virus scanner because AVG free doesn't work on my Vista 64. I guess this means I'm going to have to pay for one now :o So could someone spec me an anti virus. I have a fast computer, so I don't mind too much if it takes a lot of resources (although ideally I would like it to be fast). I'd also like one that has a good interface.

So what do you recommend?

Associate
Avast is free and pretty good, Nod 32 is regarded as the best. But I did not notice a difference between Avast and Nod 32. Plus on vista Avast used less memory than Nod 32.

Try Avast and if you don't like it then try out Nod 32, I do prefer Nod's interface though it is easier to navigate. Plus both work on 64bit :).

Caporegime
But thats still £34 your shelling out, for something which does exactly the same as a free one.

That's like saying there's no point buying a Ferrari because it does exactly the same as a Vauxhall Corsa.

They're not exactly the same, NOD32 has significantly higher cleaning/detection rates, and better performance to boot. £22 for a year is nothing, a few beers.

Man of Honour
That's like saying there's no point buying a Ferrari because it does exactly the same as a Vauxhall Corsa.

They're not exactly the same, NOD32 has significantly higher cleaning/detection rates, and better performance to boot. £22 for a year is nothing, a few beers.
A ferrari does a lot more than a corsa.

The same can't be said about AV. Who has actually got a virus with avast/avg etc?

Nod seems nothing more than willie waving. Detection rates mean little in the real world. Unless you visit loads of dodgy sites.

ANd all these £10 here and there soon add up in a massive way.

Caporegime
It's all down to opinion I guess... personally i'd rather have the re-assurance it gives when I have a LOT of important data on my computer. It would be arrogant to believe you can stop everything just with PC knouse... something will get through eventually as viruses, trojans and rootkits get more sophisticated.

Back
Top Bottom