Looking for a new bike... recommendations?

Associate
Hi guys.

I'm thinking of getting a new bike and was wondering if anyone here could give me a few recommendations. I just want something I can use for exercise and to get around in (not really long distances though).

I'll only be using it on roads and cycle paths so I don't think I need a mountain bike. I think what's most important to me is just something that is lightweight.

My budget is pretty low... maximum about £100. I have no idea about bike prices these days but I'm willing to stretch that if it's worth it.

Cheers!

Associate
Run a search and you'll find lots of recent discussions that are compatible with your needs.

A £100 bike stands a high chance of being a money pit long term and you'll come to loath it. If we forget sale prices for a moment, a £200 hybrid would be a good starting point. Try to get a bike with Shimano Sora components if you can.

Soldato
I bought a £100 POS from Halfords. It was fine for a couple of months, eventually I spent the same money again and more on repairs and servicing. I've since ditched it and spent more cash. I've not looked back.

Either buy a solid second hand bike from a good manufacturer, or increase your budget.

Permabanned
£100 isn't enough for a bike. Look at £200, ideally £300 for quality. As for bike type, a hybrid or even a road bike with wider tyres (28-33mm) should be ok.

Edinborough cycles have a few budget bikes

Associate
OP
Right, thanks guys. I suppose I will increase my budget to £200-300 then. Any manufacturers to look out for? Am thinking of going to a few bike shops tomorrow with some info so I can know what I'm looking for.

Associate
I've got a GT Avalanche 3.0 disc (06) and have been riding it for 18 months most days. I put slicks on it and it's perfect for the work commute. Not had any issues with it. All components still working fine. The best £240 I've spent.

Specialized Hardrock's are in the same bracket. You won't go wrong with one of these either.

Have a look on bikeradar's website. You'll get all the info you need.

Soldato
No it isn't.

Idiotic reply, perhaps you could say why? What experience have you got with them?

Slicks are fine on tarmac but grip becomes an issue if you go off-road, even on gravel tracks. Slicks aren't the best in the wet either.

Agreed for £100 you really are going to get numerous problems. with Bikes you get what you pay for, and although yhou only need a basic bike, £100 is going to buy you a shoddy example with awful components. You will be as others have said, continually adjusting the mechs (gears) and brakes.

To ride to work, you want it to be good every day, or you will just not use it, and it will end up gathering spiders in a shed.

Associate
OP
Another question: is there anything wrong with purchasing an older model? The guy at the shop today showed me a few Claud Butler and Specialized bikes in my price range (200ish) but they were 07 models.

Thanks for the Bike Radar website too, definately one for the bookmarks.

Associate
Absolutely nothing wrong with picking up an older model. Just make sure you buy the right thing, as you mentioned you want to ride or roads and cycle paths so a hybrid or a nice commuter will be ideal. So be honest with yourself and don't buy a MTB if you want to ride on paved surfaces only.

Having said that (and I'm biased :) ) a £300 entry level mountain bike is an amazing way to get into the sport, and if you have any offroad MTB trails nearby, go and have a go, you will probably catch the bug very quickly :)

I have no experience with hybrids or commuters so I can't really recommend any, but as already mentioned, stay away from Hellfords and visit your local bike shops, you will get a much better service and advice from them.

Last edited:
Associate
I think (and this is coming from a now avid roadie) that a hardtail mountain bike would be the ideal first bike simply because of its versitality. Especially if it has a lockout on the front fork (stops the suspension moving around) and equiped with slicks, this is a more than adequate solution to exercise, trips to the shops or commuting relatively short distances (<10 miles). If you want to go offroad, you know you can with such a bike.

Associate
Exactly! This is what I have done hence why I posted. If we are going to get bike snobbery coming into posts then there will be less people posting.
Remember the guy was going to spend £100. What hybrid are you going to get for that???
I was telling of my experience and I can tell you that it works fine. I'm mostly tarmac but there are areas where there's muddy or dusty trails I need to take.
I have had no problem, obviously you have to be more cautious but the difference made up on the tarmac more than makes up for it!

You are probably looking at more than £300 if you are looking for forks with lockout unless you look around at 06 or 07 models. JE James and Merlin have good offers. Wiggle, Chain Reaction Cycles, Evans are all good enough for offers if you can get a bike to fit.
Your local bike shop is the place to go though, you'll get better advice and you can try before you buy!

Associate
Any hardtail mountain bike will be suitable for the daily commute, it all depends how much you're prepared to work. I ride a Rockhopper with stock tyres (Fast Track Pros) and it does me really well. I did consider changing to either a roadie or a fast hybrid, but the extra effort is worth it as it keeps me really really fit.

As for front suspension, if you're aiming for lockout then the cheaper forks will have mechanical lockout - this is basically a switch that ensures that the fork does not compress at all when you hit anything. The more expensive lockout will have a blow-off facility, whereby the lockout becomes temporarily inactive if you hit a big enough object. I'd recommend this, you see it on Rockshox Judy 3s, Darts etc (i.e. some pretty cheap forks, the Rockhopper at £500 has this but you'll find it on cheaper bikes).

And without wishing to flame a suspended user, badbob is a road biker, and his loyalties lie with road bikes. I am a mountain biker through and through, and it has always been my view that you can ride a mountain bike on the road to a better level than taking a roadie offroad. If you believe you will be taking it offroad at all, go with the MTB.

Finally, the reason I love the Fast Tracks - they're very competent offroad, but the centre tread is very hard so they roll relatively fast on-road as well.

Back
Top Bottom