Record Ronaldo Bid

Soldato
According to La Sexta, Real Madrid are to bid £100 million smackers for Ronnie. Every man has a price but would the board at Old trafford contemplate selling their prized asset?

http://msnsport.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11827_3404583,00.html

No way fergie will let Ronaldo go....

Not until they have at least won the Champions League again.

approx 2 seasons...if Man U win everything (or most of everything) then and only then will Fergie let him go for megabucks...

Associate
I believe Ronaldo will be as big if not bigger than David Beckham on the world stage... He has everything that Beckham had apart from the pop star girlfriend!!

Beckham worth to Real Madrid was astronomical, check this out:

"The Times reported that according to José Angel Sánchez, Real's director of Marketing, Beckham cost the club 25 million Pounds, but has been worth more than 300 million Pounds in marketing revenues to the club.

More than one million Beckham shirts were sold in his first six month at Real. Sales of merchandising rose more than 60 per cent to 36 million pounds in the first 2 years. Beckham bought in the wealthiest commercial endorsements for the team like Audi, Adidas and Siemens and the club's annual sponsorship and advertising income rose by 137 per cent to 30 million pounds. Beckham understands his brand power, but he always insists that it should not overshadow his football. Well, concerning these numbers it is not easy."

This is why I don't think my numbers are wrong. The hype generated by a team like Real Madrid buying Ronaldo would be huge. They have a massive fan base and would capitalise on that. They have been lacking recently behind there biggest rival Barca in La Liga and the CL and they need someone like Ronaldo. Not only would they be buying the hottest property in football, in terms of the players ability, but they would be buying the commodity that is Ronaldo....

As I said a the begining!! Ronaldo will be as big if not bigger on the world stage as Beckham

Don
I've cut the rest as I don't particularly disagree however it is very difficult to quantify exactly how much an individual player is worth in terms of merchandising and it would be even harder to calculate how much of the prize money would have been won without Ronaldo in the team. I think about the most that could safely be said is that Ronaldo is the most marketable member of the team at the moment with the possible exception of Park to the Far East.

You're right it's near impossible to quantify even if you had the exact figures of the number of shirts etc with Ronaldo on as how many of those would have bought a shirt with Rooney on if he left etc.

The £50m figure and the 10% difference Ronaldo may effect were very optimistic and just to show that one player (even Beckham) won't make a huge difference to a big side from a financial perspective. Regarding the prize money: there isn't a great deal of difference (£2m iirc) between coming 1st and 4th in the EPL so that wouldn't make a huge difference either.

There is no denying that Ronaldo has a worth from a business point of view but not £100m or even close to that.

Don

That '£300m' is very misleading. Of all those sponsors mentioned how much would have Real got had they not signed Beckham? Of those 1m shirts sold how many would have had Raul or Zidane's name on the back had they not signed Beckham?

Also i completely disagree with you regarding how big Ronaldo is or will become from a marketing point of view. Ronaldo certainly is a far better player than Beckham but so have many other players yet haven't received 10% of the coverage he gets.

Last edited:
Soldato
AS everyone probably did - I thought £25m was a ludicrously small sum for Beckham to be sold for, yes the added difficulty of him owning his own rights lessened the sum somewhat but even so even all those years ago Man Utd should have got considerably more - but Real where bargaining on the fact that SAF finally wanted rid of DB

Even average players and teenage hot prospects are now going for that kind of sum, someone who has entertained one of the best leagues in the world for three years on a constant basis has to be worth 2-3 that already just from what happens on the pitch let alone any major awards he may win on top of that and any media reasons

Man of Honour

To be fair I don't think he is wrong in that evaluation, for £200 million Ronaldo would move to Real Madrid as would almost anyone being offered a quite ridiculous sum. However it is a bit pointless saying so as you could just as easily pick £500 million for the sum or £1 billion, it is beyond the realms of present possibility because for £200 million you could buy a whole, and relatively decent, first team squad or at the least several World class individuals which is rather more likely to bring success than adding one man on his own.

Man of Honour
Agreed, I'd rather have 4 £50m players - say Zidane, Ronaldo (the real one), Henry and Vieira when all were at their peak - than one £200m player. Apart from anything else, he could get a bad injury and even with insurance it would still be a blow to the team.

Soldato
Besides, didn't Real take a loan from the bank recently for over 20 million euros or pounds? If so, how the hell do they expect to afford him?
Doubtful.
They signed a billion £ TV deal with some TV companies at the beginning of the season.

He's not worth £100m imo. No player is.

Associate
AS everyone probably did - I thought £25m was a ludicrously small sum for Beckham to be sold for, yes the added difficulty of him owning his own rights lessened the sum somewhat but even so even all those years ago Man Utd should have got considerably more - but Real where bargaining on the fact that SAF finally wanted rid of DB

Even average players and teenage hot prospects are now going for that kind of sum, someone who has entertained one of the best leagues in the world for three years on a constant basis has to be worth 2-3 that already just from what happens on the pitch let alone any major awards he may win on top of that and any media reasons

From a footballing point of view he wasn't even worth £25m. Around the same time a much younger Ronaldinho was been bought for a similar price.

Caporegime
Doubtful.
They signed a billion £ TV deal with some TV companies at the beginning of the season.

He's not worth £100m imo. No player is.

True, but if you're gauging value from other transfers like SWP, Shevchenko, Essien and other overpriced players, then you'd have to say he is. I'd say he's more than 3times as good as Shevchenko, so £100m is a bargain in comparison.

Soldato
True, but if you're gauging value from other transfers like SWP, Shevchenko, Essien and other overpriced players, then you'd have to say he is. I'd say he's more than 3times as good as Shevchenko, so £100m is a bargain in comparison.
So you think he's worth £100m then?

No player is imo.
£100m would, as said, buy Real 3 world class players who would arguably have just as big an impact as Ronaldo could possibly have for them.

Caporegime
yea but ronaldo takes 1 place in a team of 11 players and is proven match winner. its nice to have 3 other good players but the impact that ronaldo can have in a match is amazing.

100million is crazy money but how much is the best player in the world worth ?!

Don
yea but ronaldo takes 1 place in a team of 11 players and is proven match winner. its nice to have 3 other good players but the impact that ronaldo can have in a match is amazing.

So 3 Rooney's wouldn't win a team the amount of points that Ronaldo would?

Caporegime
no, because if you look at rooney he doesnt play as well without Ronaldo, and because he keeps missing the back of the net. Unlike Ronaldo, who keeps picking it out.

Also, i hate to say it, but when you watch ronaldo and then Rooney, suddenly Rooneys tricks and skills suddenly look very wooden and workmanlike (and when we first signed ROoney he was probably our most skilfull player!

Soldato
no, because if you look at rooney he doesnt play as well without Ronaldo, and because he keeps missing the back of the net. Unlike Ronaldo, who keeps picking it out.

Also, i hate to say it, but when you watch ronaldo and then Rooney, suddenly Rooneys tricks and skills suddenly look very wooden and workmanlike (and when we first signed ROoney he was probably our most skilfull player!

Don't most of Man U's losses coincide with Rooney's absences rather then Ronaldo's?

Soldato

As Visionary pointed out, you've got that the wrong way round. Ronaldo generally doesn't play as well for Utd without Rooney in the team, whereas I haven't noticed Rooney's level of play drop when Ronaldo is absent.

Permabanned
Best player in the world? I think not. One of the best...for sure. Do I still think he's a ridiculous cry baby diver that does one too many step overs looking like a **** in every game? Yep

Back
Top Bottom