Spec me a gym near Canary Wharf

Man of Honour
May be getting a job there and fancy getting fit again (used to be a gym-aholic). Any good gyms around there? I'm after weights rather than treadmills really. Thanks.

bum

bum

Associate
How much you willing to pay for gym fees? Have you checked them major gym companies such as fitness first + la fitness as surely they'd have 1 or 2 branch at canary wharf. However expect the gym to fill up at such places because a lot of business people workout afterwork.

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks. Just wondering if anyone had any experience of a gym around there. I used to go to Fitness First in London Bridge. It was great but got quite busy.

Soldato
the virgin active gym at canary wharf is good, although its more of a health club, i also found it can get busy in the evenings, although thats standard in almost any gym i've used.

only downside with the virgin gym is the price, around 120pm iirc.

Associate
i believe the one near the waitrose is the one people use.. who knows.. most firms either have an onsite gym or a deal with a local one...

Soldato
The virgin gym is top tear posh place (used to be called Homes Place). very nice althrough the spar bits are so nice that you might be tempted to mess around there for a couple of hours instead of exceriseing

The waitrose gym is called the Rebook centre. Haven't been there myself but it's expensive. And i hear its not as nice as the virgin gym, might as well go to virgin if you're going to spend cash

The LA Fitness is the one i go to. Next to the cinema. It's also very well stocked. Not very posh but is very big. Even at peak times there not any problems getting a machine. Has a small pool and nicer steam room. (The one at the virgin gym drips hot water on you from above because the steam condences on the lights above, very annoying) Been there a couple of years now so paying £40 a month. for which i think it's not very bad.

Caporegime
May be getting a job there ...

don't join one yet then - check whether you've got a gym on site or whether you can get one for free

Seriously my employer built one within our office, I've got free access to a Virgin/Holmes place one too and if i hadn't moved to where I'm living now then a fair few of the apartments I was considering had gyms on-site.

Honestly you don't want to be paying 120 a month for a gym - see if your employer either has one or will fund one and if not encourage them to do so. If they provided health insurance then I'm pretty sure they can get the premiumes reduced simply by providing access to a gym.

Soldato
Hi there

try this link

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/health/gym-discounts

i have heard of a few people are doing this, how effective or successful i cant comment on.

I wrote a reply yesterday but since i wanted to post others have covered most gyms already. So wont bother posting it, except that fitness first gym in London bridge has a very small weights area. The Reebok sports center is apparently HUGE, with free weights area bigger than some gyms.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi there

try this link

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/health/gym-discounts

i have heard of a few people are doing this, how effective or successful i cant comment on.

I wrote a reply yesterday but since i wanted to post others have covered most gyms already. So wont bother posting it, except that fitness first gym in London bridge has a very small weights area. The Reebok sports center is apparently HUGE, with free weights area bigger than some gyms.

Have seen the adverts at tube stations but always thought there were dogy terms and conditions. I get a little discount on gum memberships and the only close one is kinietica in balham or LA fitness at canary wharf, and Il still be paying £45 a month.

This deal seems perfect, and will sort it for the first week of May. :D

Robgmun are you a member of the the virgin or LA fitness, and do you know the extra cost p/m of the Virgin one. Tempted by the LA fitness one, as Il be moving to Canary wharf offices for my next few placements. Are you only allowed to be a member of a specific gym at a location, or can you go to others around the city ?

cheers

Last edited:
Soldato
I work in canary Wharf, seriously dont join yet because

a) you place will offer corporate membership to one of the gyms locally.
b) you place may have a gym.
c) there are much cheaper gyms available no the other side near marsh wall

but if you do insist, the Rebok gym near Waitrose, offers best value for money.

TBH though, join a gym nearer to where you live. usally cheaper with better facilities, i was a long time member of clearview near brentwood, and it was fantastic, i would still be a member if it did not cut into my karate time.

Soldato
Robgmun are you a member of the the virgin or LA fitness, and do you know the extra cost p/m of the Virgin one. Tempted by the LA fitness one, as Il be moving to Canary wharf offices for my next few placements. Are you only allowed to be a member of a specific gym at a location, or can you go to others around the city ?

cheers
I'm a member of the LA Fitness one. virgin comes close to £100 a month which is really expensive for me right now. But i would do it in a flash if i was a high earner.

At LA Fitness you can be a member at one gym which is the cheapest option or be a member at all gyms for a bit more. which is good if you work from different offices round london at times.

Soldato
I'm a member of the LA Fitness one. virgin comes close to £100 a month which is really expensive for me right now. But i would do it in a flash if i was a high earner.

At LA Fitness you can be a member at one gym which is the cheapest option or be a member at all gyms for a bit more. which is good if you work from different offices round london at times.

Fantastic, it seems like a good choice then. Is the LA fitness one free if you go twice or more a week ? (after the initial 3 month period of course) :D

Back
Top Bottom