Old P4 vs New Q6600...no difference in speed or performance

Associate
You should always format your hard drive if your changing either the motherboard or CPU. That's the way i've always done it. The Q6600 is definitely faster than your old P4. It's probably just slower than normal since you haven't formatted yet.

As for doing a partition... it's entirely up to you and the way you want to organize your files. I'm not sure it would speed up things by much. It all boils down to how faster your drive is. You might want to try a raid setup.

As for boot up times. Theres ways to make windows boot up faster, just use google and you will find loads fo things on how to do it and it also depends on how many things you have installed.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi

I was thinking about Raid but not sure exactly what it is, or how to set it up. Does Raid double the speed of the hd? Its something I have never tried, this is probs because I have never had a Raid mobo b4. Should you have 2x identical drives to use it?

Sorry to sound like a newb but there you go lol

Associate
You will notice the biggest difference between the P4 and Q6600 when you start multitasking or run programs that utilise multiple cores of the Q6600. However I wouldn't expect there to be a HUGE difference in how fast your OS runs.

Soldato
A Q6600, IP35PRO and ballistix should allow you to overclock to 3.4-3.6Ghz on air easily. Check your settings.

is this an answer to my q6600 temp question??? so what would 'safe' temps be for this cpu? currently running at 58 59 54 58 with UT3 in background after 1 match, on the upside it goes down pretty quickly if i close UT.
*im using Core Temp to monitor temps

Associate
OP
i'm going to get the oc overclocking book, the componants in the book are the same as mine except the make of Ram, although it is the same speed (PC2-8500) so it should be the same i suppose.

i aint got much of a clue about this overclocking, this is the best step to make 4 newbees like myself

Associate
OP
probs going to stick with XP Pro for now, i do lots of video and audio editing, from my experience XP is best for this at the moment anyway...

Associate
I think a format/reinstall will definitely fix your windows boot problems, and will improve performance elsewhere too. I personally like to have a 40gb partition for windows and applications, then have the rest as a separate partition and assign 'My Documents' to that partition - or even better, the second physical drive you have.

I don't see the point in having a separate partition for applications, as they'll all need reinstalling if you format anyway so may as well keep them on the same partition as windows.

Soldato
I went from a P4 641 to a Q6600 and I also personally never found any real world differences in load up/shut down or day to day use, yes the PC feels nimbler but I hardly notice it but give the quad a task such as video encoding and the quad leave my P4 for dust, things like video transcoding used to take well over half an hour but now only takes around 9 minutes.

PS my quad doesn't take 3/4 minutes to load unless by 3/4 you 3 quarters of a minute which around the time it takes to load :)

Associate
OP
There is a slight improvement in my load up times now, the Q6600 seems to have settled in, I have also installed Diskkeeper, that has improved it slightly. I'm sure if I did a reformat though It would be loads better, I was thinking about doing raid0 but not sure how to do it!

As for the Q6600, it really shines when I run my Cubase SX3 sequencing software. When I had the P4 installed the CPU activity was quire high due to the complexity of my tracks, now though with the Q6600 there is hardly any CPU activity, it runs it no problem, also the same in FLStudio, CPU activity is well low now.

Permabanned
Sorry, I forgot to mention the performance issues.

1, Well, ok, there is no difference what so ever in boot up time, the old p4 was taking about 3/4mins to fully load, that is the same with the new Q6600

2, My system is now turning off slightly faster but not much difference there either.

3, Also, once my system has loaded the harddrive activity seems to go an and on, some times this is worse than other boot ups

4, when I double click to load a program there is sometimes a 2/3 second delay to start loading…this was the same as the old P4

5, (the good news) The only thing I am impressed with is now when I run cubase sx3 I hardly see any cpu activity, on the old P4 it was quite high, so that is loads better.

I am going to get me the overclocking book, they use the same speck as mine except the ram make is different but the same speed PC2 8500

XP should not take 2-4 mins to Boot up, it needs formatted then.

Your new CPU should blow the old P4 out the water unless you only surf Pron etc then it will make little difference.

Back
Top Bottom