New site: CSFRS USAR website : How is it looking?

Soldato
Just got the "official go ahead" to make this "live".

www.centralscotlandfireusar.com

I've still to add a Gallery, awaiting further content/pics etc.

We are heading down to South Wales this July for the World Rescue Org USAR Challenge ( all details and links on the site ).

So I knocked up this website for my brigade to advertise the fact.

What do you reckon so far?. :)

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
It's alright; but please, change a load of the pngs to jpegs, there is no need for that header to be almost 300kb!

Soldato
It's alright; but please, change a load of the pngs to jpegs, there is no need for that header to be almost 300kb!
I like this site. Nothing sticks out at me as being very annoying. I would echo the quoted point about the header image. It took a few seconds to load on my PC and with it being effectively the "title page" that needs to load almost instantly. :)

Associate
It looks a bit dated

I wouldn't mix sans-serif with serif either

Why use images for your headers (“Welcome to the CSFRS U.S.A.R. Team Website")? Browsers like Safari and IE7 smooth text out now anyway, and not that you’re probably too concerned about SEO, it would be better as a h1 tag

The scrunched paper background is a really old technique, not a fan.

I don't like the fact the menu if offset into the page. Maybe it’s because it runs over the edge of your margin and has a big gap to the left but it looks like it's a css fault and not meant to be out there.

You’ve got biggish buttons for the menu, but only clicking the text works not the whole button. Have a look on http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/ there's loads of examples of lists that'll let the whole button be clickable.

Tables... ?

I don't like the triple border at the bottom, it just looks messy and doesn’t fit with your other borders

Your header width is fine for 1024, but why does your content stop short? Are you planning a right column? If not, expand and use the space so you can get more content on with less vertical scrolling

Again, an SEO thing, but don’t point home at index.html, point it at / then you’ve only one address for that page

Code:
body bottommargin="0" leftmargin="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" rightmargin="0" topmargin="0" bgcolor="#ffffff"

I'm assuming Dreamweaver helped you out with that, but it’s one of the reasons it won’t validate

Code:
body {
background-color:#FFF;
border:0;
margin:0;
padding:0;
}

in your stylesheet would serve you better

Another thing is you're mixing your styling

Code:
style="background-repeat:repeat-y" background="images/buttons_back.gif"

should be

Code:
style="background-image:url('images/buttons_back.gif');background-repeat:repeat-y"

There's a white gap at the bottom of the page, which is a shame as it throws up an unnecessary scroll bar on each page. Why not put the image as your body background and use divs over the top with background colors over it when not needed?

Back
Top Bottom