28-135 IS vs 70-300

sid

sid

Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;11518462 said:
Please don't buy this lens, it's truely appauling for the money.

Both EF and EF-S lenses work on the 400D.

Its not an appaulling lens at all.

Sure theres vignetting at the wide end but its still a decent upgrade from the standard one.

sid

sid

Soldato
The 17-85 IS isn't an amazing lens but it fits nicely between the kit lens and the 24-70L & 24-105 L IS.

Yeah I think asprilla was getting at the fact that there are other lenses in the same price range which are probably a bit better.

sid

sid

sid

Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;11522538 said:
I probably should have specified that for the money it's appauling.

I use that, a 70-300 IS and a nifty fifty and the 17-85 does nothing but disappoint me these days. If anyone wants one they can buy mine.

In what way does it disappoint you?

I've not had any problems apart from the vignetting one.

sid

Soldato
In what way does it disappoint you?

I've not had any problems apart from the vignetting one.

sid

It might just be mine by I tend to find it pretty soft compared to the other lenses that I'm using.

I'm going to change it for either 17-40L or a 24-105L in the summer. I've just come back from Cuba where I took about 400 shots and there isn't a single one that grabs me or that I can't find fault with. After two years with the lens and compared to some of the oshots I've taken with my other lenses I've decided that it's jsut not up to scratch.

Soldato
OP
Meh, been told the 55-250 is out of stock and now having second thoughts on it.

Basically it's £50 more than the sigma 70-300 but to me the IS and image quality seem worth it. But the sigma has the in built macro function.

On the other hand I really like the idea of strapping a 28-300 to my camera and never having to take it off.

God this lens choice thing is doing my head in!!!

Permabanned
But the sigma has the in built macro function.

Just be aware it isn't proper Macro in the stricted sense, it just focuses closer than normal for a 300mm lens (and it only does this above 200mm too).

To get the max magnification you still have to be almost the other side of a room.

It's possibly the most useless feature on any of the lenses I have.

Soldato
Settled on a canon 55-250 IS, just placing my order :)

Good call, I have this lens and its outstanding for the money, awesome range as well :)

EDIT: DO NOT go for the sigma, or even the canon 70-300 area lenses, iv owned them all and the 55-250 is by far the better lens, also the IS is much more useful than a 'macro' function (thats not really macro), and its IQ is spot on for the price range, find it from somewhere else, it really is a no brainer, try it at your local cam shop

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Good call, I have this lens and its outstanding for the money, awesome range as well :)

EDIT: DO NOT go for the sigma, or even the canon 70-300 area lenses, iv owned them all and the 55-250 is by far the better lens, also the IS is much more useful than a 'macro' function (thats not really macro), and its IQ is spot on for the price range, find it from somewhere else, it really is a no brainer, try it at your local cam shop

Cheers bud, will follow that adviced. Been playing with my nifty fifty that arrived yesterday, just waiting for the 10-20 and 55-350 now then :)

Soldato

My 70-300 is sharp at 300mm. I'd never change it for the cheaper 55-250 :)

Back
Top Bottom