Honda's VTEC non failure claim...

Soldato
The problem with the claim is what people think the 'vtec' covers. Its not a Vtec engine its a engine with a Vtec system, the engines do fail (we have a dead one out back waiting to go to a nearby college) the vtec system itself I have never heard of failing by itself but its a much smaller system inside the head that isn't under a great deal of load.

Parts do fail on the system but are usually attributed to oil feed issues etc.

Soldato
It's an engine. Of course they fail :/

Some guy put a Honda K20A in his Elise and it blew up whilst racing at Spa... pistons went through the block in fact.

I suspect what Honda meant is that they have never seen any failure attributable to the VTEC system in general. But that isn't really saying much. Since the VTEC system is just a cam shaft and some ECU software...

Permabanned
OP
Well, this is exactly why I want to know what the quote actually was, or where it came from.

I'm of the opinion it relating to the engines as a whole is just silly, but i'm trying to find some kind of actual proof of this, all I can find at the moment is hearsay on various forums.

Soldato
I thought Honda only claimed that they'd never had a warranty claim against the VTEC system?

I think that was the claim. I've seen numerous cases where the little oil filter in the solenoid was clogged and vtec would not engage, I would classify this as a failure in the vtec system...

However most people who actually care about their warranties won't even be noticing if vtec is not engaging since they shift like old grannies at 3500rpm.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
However most people who actually care about their warranties won't even be noticing if vtec is not engaging since they shift like old grannies at 3500rpm.

And that's not just VTEC motors. Mum got her new Fiat 500 the other week - it doesn't make peak power until a good ways up the rev range, but if she ever takes it much above 3000rpm I'd be bloody surprised :)

Back
Top Bottom