where to purchase cigars online?

Soldato
and suggestions for something nice.

quit smoking cigs before christmas but after a chat with a friend today it's been an awful long time since i've had a good cigar.

the only tobaconist i knew of in glasgow shut down a couple of years ago so there is nowhere here (that i know of) where i can go and question someone.

so i leave it up to you fine people to point me somewhere good.

Soldato
OP
simply looks quite a good site actually.

for someone that's fairly new to it all, anyone got any suggestions on something nice to start with?

Associate
Cohibas are good, fairly strong and pricey, but they are proper cigars.

I've not tried them, but ones like Hamlet are very cheap, cheaper than cigarettes even.

Last edited:
Soldato
simply looks quite a good site actually.

for someone that's fairly new to it all, anyone got any suggestions on something nice to start with?

They do "sampler" packs, get the 5 cigar one, its the one that got me into it. Also, dont go in for that "humidor bag" rubbish, and theres no need to buy a cutter, use a knife. The annoying thing about that site is they are always trying to flog you extras, as a newbie it can be confusing.

Associate
Personally I'd recommend a cutter, I always seem to end up with a ragged edge no matter how sharp a knife I use, they're only cheap anyway and I think the sampler pack from simply actually comes with one.

Another couple to consider are Romeo and Juliet's or Monte Cristos, as you can get a reasonable ringsize in those for a reasonable price.

Soldato
Personally I'd recommend a cutter, I always seem to end up with a ragged edge no matter how sharp a knife I use, they're only cheap anyway and I think the sampler pack from simply actually comes with one.

Another couple to consider are Romeo and Juliet's or Monte Cristos, as you can get a reasonable ringsize in those for a reasonable price.

I'd second the cutter comment for what they cost compared to a decent cigar they are invaluable, why risk messing up a qulaity cigar for the sake of a few quid.

Another to add to your reasonable list is Punch they make very nice cigars for the money. cohibar are lovely but a bit over priced if you ask me. I spent three days in Havana last year it was cigar heaven!

Soldato
I only suggested not spending money on a cutter incase he gets halfway through his first cigars and realises he doesnt like it. Then you have spent £5 on something you'll never use again.

Associate
I only suggested not spending money on a cutter incase he gets halfway through his first cigars and realises he doesnt like it. Then you have spent £5 on something you'll never use again.
Considering a decent cigar costs £10-£20, £5 isn't really much of a loss though is it?
And anyway, if as reccomended he gets the sampler pack, he'll get one for free so... it's neither here nor there really.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Romeo and Juliet's - brilliant cigars
expensive - but brilliant

i had friends go to cuba and they brought me a box back
beautiful case - lovely aluminium cases for each cigar

a really nice gift - would reccomend
also the churchill cigars that they sell are very good - albeit that they are massive and can take up to 5-6 hours to finish

Soldato
Nope they just have lower taxes on cigars than we do, if you look at the LCDH (La Casa Del Habano the Cuban distributor for cigars) you can see they have Cigar One as an official outlet. I also have used http://www.gestocigars.ch/ who are also pretty cheap also.

Hmm ok, if you've used them before with no problems i might give them a go.

Also, just noticed - home counties for the win :D

Soldato
5-6 hours!? Do you extinguish it after every draw? :eek:

All the usual online stores have been mentioned. If you're only starting, avail of one of the many sampler packs on offer so that you can try various cigars and get a taste for what you like.

I started with this whole cigar lark with that older cigar thread, and i thought it would go like that, id get the sampler pack and then id realise what i liked. Many hundreds of pounds later ive realised i like pretty much all of them :D

Soldato
Habanos SA is the Cuban government controlled company that manufactuers, sells and distributes Cuban cigars and are part owned by Altadis. On the Habanos SA site it lists the companies they officially distribute to around the world. Hunters and Frankau are the UK one, Altadis in Spain and Interbak in Switzerland etc. These are the official sole importers for those countries and they then distribute to official shops.

The best place to buy Cuban cigars from first and foremost for the genuine article is from an La Casa del Habano which is the franchise of the Cuban government stores. Next is to buy from the official shops listed on the Hunters and Frankau, Interbak, Altadis etc sites.

http://www.intertabak.com/f/30bezug/30fachhandel1.shtml Cigar One is listed mid way down grouped with the stores in Geneva :)

Sorry about the short story but finding cheap genuine sources are really worth looking for as the price differences are considerable.

Back
Top Bottom