The Full 4gb in Vista 32bit

Soldato
Afternoon, i've been told someone around here might know how to unlock all my 4gb of ram under 32bit vista.
It currently only sees about 3.25gb which sucks, but i hear that theres a hack/work around to get the full 4gb.

Any ideas? i couldn't find owt through search :(

Soldato
Afternoon, i've been told someone around here might know how to unlock all my 4gb of ram under 32bit vista.
It currently only sees about 3.25gb which sucks, but i hear that theres a hack/work around to get the full 4gb.

it would be interesting to know if there was a 32-Bit OS hack to see the full 4Gb of RAM, but I would imagine the only way would be to install a 64-Bit OS.

Soldato
Well if you install SP1 for Vista32 it will report your RAM as being 4GB - so at least cosmetically it will be OK.

It isn't a matter of doing a "registry hack" it would be a matter of rewriting the way all 32bit OS's address memory - not exactly a quick project.

Soldato
64bit software will run 32bit software just as 32bit no problems.

Also there is software that can see more than 3.25 GB as 32bit... Look at Server 2003 Enterprise - It sees up to 64gb, i dunno why they havn't allowed this on XP 32bit

Soldato
OP
basically i use all the adobe range, 3ds max and then usual web stuff, opera, ff, msn, etc

hardware wise, i've just bought a quad system and have an old audigy 4

Soldato

Not under any 32-bit OS.

Get 64-bit if all your motherboard drivers are available for it, there's not much point in Vista 32-bit.

Soldato
When i formatted i really wish i'd put 64 on here instead, i really can't be bothered going through everything again now though, its all working luuverly,and imaged so when something goes ***s up i can revert back, but none of this effort helps in upgrading to 64bit :p :( I wanna join the club...

Soldato
OP
aye, well only having installed last night means i don't really mind too much about having to sit through it all again, not really what i want to do, but at least all i'm losing is a few drivers and opera.

Back
Top Bottom