getting a website into a search engine

Associate
Google especially these days rank your site higher or lower by popularity, i've noticed mine has crept ever higher for the same search terms.

Fill out the meta tags, make sure you have decent content and watch the logs for what hits you do get on searches - if theyre all wrong for the kind of visitor you want to attract then you need to rethink things.

Also, having links around your site doesn't hurt - but please don't make it a site full of links that's too annoying, plus linking to it from other places is good too - but not as spam, then you'll be ranked lower.

Associate
http://www.google.com/webmasters/

Submit an xml sitemap to the webmaster tools.

Don't bother with meta keywords, but do include unique meta descriptions for each page. Make sure all your titles are unique as well.

Get as many inbound links from external relevant sites to the relevant pages on the site as possible.

Content, content, content...

Associate
http://www.google.com/webmasters/

Don't bother with meta keywords, but do include unique meta descriptions for each page. Make sure all your titles are unique as well.

I disagree. Definitely bother with key-words. Take seconds to do and it does have an influence on your SEO performance in various search engines. Google isn't the only search engine, and the % for live.com and yahoo have both increased of late from what I've read.

Associate
Agree with paulsheff and Spider.

If you want decent ranking for competitive keywords there are no 'quick fixes' - well apart from adwords - but organically, you need to work on content and get as many links to that site as possible.

Associate
I disagree. Definitely bother with key-words. Take seconds to do and it does have an influence on your SEO performance in various search engines. Google isn't the only search engine, and the % for live.com and yahoo have both increased of late from what I've read.

Sorry you're right, what I meant was don't spend a lot of time on them as there are other on page techniques that will do more. It's bottom of the tree due to the abuse they've suffered over the years, but like Tesco, every little helps...

Soldato
My tip..

Think what people will be typing in the search box to get to your site.
I.E. 'Dave The Plumber'
Then type 'Dave The Plumber' into Google. Have a look at the first site that comes back to see why it's top of the tree. Content and PageRank would be the most obvious reason.
Then make your site better than this in terms of wording and content and get as many people to link to you as possible.

Back
Top Bottom