Girlfriend held for suspected robbery

Caporegime
How come people here always go on about police not doing anything one minute then when they try to do a job they get complained about again. Its not as if she was beaten over the head or actually imprisoned

she was held by a security guard, not the police, the police man then said he wouldn't have searched for the transaction, if he hadn't just had a holiday and so would have hauled her off to the cells without even checking if the item was stolen.

I don;t see how this is complaining when they try to do their job :/

Soldato
uhhh im very surprised the shop cameras DIDNT pick her up walking into the shop with the goods in a bag....

did she walk into the shop take out the top, then browse some more clothes (ie making it look like the top she brought back were actually part of the stuff she was browsing?

but anyway.... sue the store and official complaint to police (if its upheld its kept on the policeman's record so they take it seriously)

Soldato
Oh dear :( The replies in this thread show why britain is in the state its in and why chavs have such free rein.

How come people here always go on about police not doing anything one minute then when they try to do a job they get complained about again. Its not as if she was beaten over the head or actually imprisoned. Good god!! Yes she was held for a few hours but does it really warrant having to try to sue the company, make formal complaints, etc, etc. If she was hurt or held overnight then fair enough but she wasnt!

Chavs get away with so much nowadays thanks to everyone being scared to get involved or try to stop them. Its people like those that have replied "Sue them" etc that have caused the problem in the first place...

What are you on about? The situation sounds like it was particularly distressing, especially for a girl on her own. Definitely make formal complaints, and if that doesn't get a proper apology then take it further.

Associate
Yes they have...

When I used to work at a supermarket, we couldn't do squat unless we saw them take something and we had to maintain a constant visual on them else we had to let them walk out the store...

Associate
Dont you have to actually leave, or try to leave, the shop with the item before they can collar you for attempted theft? Otherwise how the hell do they know you arent bringing something back for a refund anyway ( just because its in a bag ).

Id be making a formal complaint to the store and seek advice concerning the apparently illegal actions of the "guard" in holding your gf hostage. If he wanted to press charges he should have gotten the police to come straight way and arrest her. You cant just hold someone for 2 hours because your security guard is a retard!

you have to observe the person :

a) Select the item
b) Exit the store

you cannot just "collar" someone....
A lot of companies have insurance to cover them against false imprisonment, this would be one of those from the OP.

The long and short of it is, the guard has no right to physically restrain her, and definately shouldn't just "pin" someone against the wall, if that's the case, and it's on CCTV, i'd be pushing for a formal complaint to the security firm, technically, it's common assault as it's an uninvited bodily contact without provocation.

Soldato
A formal complaint to the chain is practically useless (unless as others have said you fancy £20 of vouchers, which imo is a disgusting payoff). Contact the police station and make a formal complaint and speak to a solicitor with regards to legal action against the security guard/company. Anything less imo is a joke.

Soldato
i would complain to the store and also officially complain at the copshop about the officers comments
i would also seek for the guard to be arrested and charged with assault and false imprisonment, he has no right to do what he has

Associate
Oh dear :( The replies in this thread show why britain is in the state its in and why chavs have such free rein.

How come people here always go on about police not doing anything one minute then when they try to do a job they get complained about again. Its not as if she was beaten over the head or actually imprisoned. Good god!! Yes she was held for a few hours but does it really warrant having to try to sue the company, make formal complaints, etc, etc. If she was hurt or held overnight then fair enough but she wasnt!

Chavs get away with so much nowadays thanks to everyone being scared to get involved or try to stop them. Its people like those that have replied "Sue them" etc that have caused the problem in the first place...

Sure it's worth suing the store. Most of these large chains are scum. The tactics they use, the way employees are treated, the way they farm production out for almost slave labour.

Soldato
she was held by a security guard, not the police, the police man then said he wouldn't have searched for the transaction, if he hadn't just had a holiday and so would have hauled her off to the cells

i read it as the police officer was telling the security guard that !!!

you wouldn't get a night in cell for shoplifting :p

and i doubt the OP would have said the police comforted his GF is that was the case

Caporegime
you have to observe the person :

a) Select the item
b) Exit the store

you cannot just "collar" someone....
A lot of companies have insurance to cover them against false imprisonment, this would be one of those from the OP.

The long and short of it is, the guard has no right to physically restrain her, and definately shouldn't just "pin" someone against the wall, if that's the case, and it's on CCTV, i'd be pushing for a formal complaint to the security firm, technically, it's common assault as it's an uninvited bodily contact without provocation.
Security guards are not allowed to collar anyone, period. They do not have the authority to detain anyone, even if blatantly shoplifting. All they are allowed to do is maintain surveillance, and "ask" a person to wait.

Associate
Security guards are not allowed to collar anyone, period.
I don't claim to know much about this kinda thing, but could the guard make a "citizens arrest?"

Some interesting details at the bottom of this article, and taken from that:

To make a citizen's arrest the crime must be an ‘indictable offence’, i.e. a serious offence which could be tried in a crown court. Another way to think of indictable offences is as crimes that can result in long prison sentences.

Examples of indictable offences are theft, burglary and criminal damage. So, drink-driving would not qualify as it is an offence which would be tried in a magistrates court and only result in a maximum sentence of six months.

A person may use such force as is reasonable in the circumstances in the prevention of crime, or in effecting or assisting in the lawful arrest of offenders or suspected offenders or of persons unlawfully at large.

Last edited:
Soldato
Security guards are not allowed to collar anyone, period. They do not have the authority to detain anyone, even if blatantly shoplifting. All they are allowed to do is maintain surveillance, and "ask" a person to wait.

What he said. I would write a complaint letter to the shop manager, cc the head office and maybe a relevant authority such as trading standards. The least it will do is save some other unfortunate member of the public from getting hassled.

Associate

Wrong, I'm afraid. Better check your civil law.

"Arrest" is defined as "Detaining a person from their liberty in order to answer a charge."
Any person other than a Constable may arrest without warrant:
Anyone who is in the act of committing an indictable offence.
Anyone whom you have reasonable grounds for suspecting to be committing an indictable offence.

Arrestable offences:
Theft
Assault
Robbery
etc etc.

Last edited:
Associate
It's the same with PCSO's, they have to observe the crime on which they can make a citizens arrest and I believe only hold your for 20 minutes in which time an officer will arrive. They cannot hold you on suspicion of a crime.

Back
Top Bottom