How much would you need to be earning...

M0T

M0T

Soldato
To drop £40k on a car?

I suppose its more a question of how much you can let go from your monthly income on finance/loan (unless you can afford the full whack at once), so what would be a reasonable level of income to consider spending £40,000 on a car?

Soldato
It's an impossible question, but to be prudent it I don't think the value of your car even if financed should be any more than 50% net of your salary absolute tops. I think 30% of net salary is more prudent.

So, £125k. The people I know who have their heads screwed on right and spend that much on a car are taking home £140k after tax.

I fully expect many people here to say far less than that, but when you do the sums and have a house to pay for it all adds up.

Soldato
It's an impossible question, but to be prudent it I don't think the value of your car even if financed should be any more than 50% net of your salary absolute tops. I think 30% of net salary is more prudent.

So, £125k. The people I know who have their heads screwed on right and spend that much on a car are taking home £140k after tax.

I fully expect many people here to say far less than that, but when you do the sums and have a house to pay for it all adds up.

That's if you want to pay off the car in one year.....I don't think you need to be anywhere near earning £125k to comfortably afford a £40k car over a few years...

Soldato
Based on my own income, mortgage, and other outgoings, I guess I could probably afford a 40k motor if I had 45k per year. But I would have to be quite a petrol head to consider that :p. Personally I'd rather get a bigger house, which means bigger mortgage, and less spare cash for an expensive motor.

On the other hand, if you live at home, have no debt at all... you could probably drop 1k a month on a car loan even if you only earned 20-25k, and still have enough pocket money for insurance/fuel/running costs, and a fair social life.

Man of Honour
It also depends on where a car lies on your priority list.

If a car is transport, it's harder to justify a higher proportion of your income on it, especially if you've other leisure pursuits to pursue.

But if a car is more important to you, and is a hobby, then its easier to justify more money on it. Many people spend £2-4k a year on holidays. If cars are a big thing for you, thats extra money for cars..

Soldato
[TW]Fox;11566828 said:
I would have thought less than 10% of people driving a £40k car earn £125k a year.

The absolute minimum you'd need to be earning to finance it is pretty low.

However...

Assume you salary is £40k, you take home £2,200 per month after tax and pension contributions.

You'll spend about £1,500 of that per month on a half decent house with a repayment mortgage.

£200 on food, £100 on utilities, £130 council tax, leaves you with bugger all left to spend!

mjt

mjt

Soldato
chances are people that are on £100k+ tend to have a company car anyway, thus negating the need to blow £40k on (another) car..
unless it's a second car, but either way, £40k on a wife's/husband's or a weekend car is absurd

Soldato

However...

Assume you salary is £40k, you take home £2,200 per month after tax and pension contributions.

You'll spend about £1,500 of that per month on a half decent house with a repayment mortgage.

£200 on food, £100 on utilities, £130 council tax, leaves you with bugger all left to spend!

That's if you want to live in a £400k house.....by yourself. A lot of those costs may well be shared with your partner (perhaps true if you have a mortgage on a house?).

Soldato
That's if you want to live in a £400k house.....by yourself. A lot of those costs may well be shared with your partner (perhaps true if you have a mortgage on a house?).

Where did you get £400k from? £1,500 a month assuming an interest rate of 1%!

A £225k mortgage over 25 years will cost you £1,500 per month @ 6%.

Permabanned

However...

Whilst that is a hell of allot to be spending on a mortgage, this adds up about right.

Man of Honour

However...

That means that, according to your calculations, people on £40k a year couldn't even afford to run a Focus TDCi.

Hmmm.

And as gurdas correctly pointed out why would you buy a house and live on your own? I can't think of anything more depressing. You'd live with your girlfriend/wife, and halve that mortgage..

Permabanned
UK average house price is £194,893 based on the latest HBOS report, get to an area where London is remotely commutable and you'll go way above that.

But then, your trying to pay off that mortgage at a rate of 18k a year :eek:, I would only be trying to do that if the mortgage I had gotten was terrible.

Back
Top Bottom