I need a quick reminder that I can’t afford to run this please.

Soldato
without wanting to pull this off topic gurdas, pot, kettle?

I'm failing to understand the point you are trying to make?:confused:

My post is a valid point, a person may be rich enough to buy and run a brand new Ford Mondeo but if they ask what the running costs are (to understand if it is actually affordable), does that mean they can't afford it?

Man of Honour
My post is a valid point, a person may be rich enough to buy and run a brand new Ford Mondeo but if they ask what the running costs are (to understand if it is actually affordable), does that mean they can't afford it?

Do you not think there is a slight difference between a brand new Ford Mondeo and an Aston Martin?

Soldato
[TW]Fox;11566699 said:
Do you not think there is a slight difference between a brand new Ford Mondeo and an Aston Martin?

Of course there is, however the principle is the same. Does earning £100k a year 'automatically' mean you know the running costs of an Aston Martin? My disagreement is when people say "if you have to ask, you can't afford it".....if you don't ask, how do you know if you can afford it or not!

Permabanned
Of course there is, however the principle is the same. Does earning £100k a year 'automatically' mean you know the running costs of an Aston Martin? My disagreement is when people say "if you have to ask, you can't afford it".....if you don't ask, how do you know if you can afford it or not!

That saying was designed for people so rich, that money was literally no object to them anymore, so they didn't need to ask how much anything was.

Soldato
Saw one of these, not dissimilar to the picture, the other day outside a restaurant behind our house.. it was ludicrously good looking.. i mean.. i glanced across it.. and literally double took in the middle of the road.. lush!

Soldato
its not a V12 aston though is it, you'll feel pretty small in the trouser department if one of those pulls up next to you. :p

No not really, you just laugh at the DB9 owner as he pulls away listenign to your sexy V8.

Same goes with the 911 though unless he is planning on a turbo or a carrera GT.

Permabanned
its not a V12 aston though is it, you'll feel pretty small in the trouser department if one of those pulls up next to you. :p

Would you really though, especially at 21. I mean, your average Aston Martin owner is guna be 35+ (at a guess), id feel pretty damn chuffed being in the same marque as them at such an early age tbh, I know I do as a student driving what to most is probably a complete girls car.

Soldato
That's not true...if you have no knowledge of how much a car costs to run, how do you know if you can afford it?

Well.... how about asking the relevant people, like your insurance company, the dealers who will service the vehicle, checking your local fuel prices and comparing the relevant MPG, browsing a few parts sites and asking the tax man, etc.??

And if you really, REALLY cannot manage that, (and if you cannot, then I would question your suitability to actually drive any vehicle) then maybe posting on a vehcile specific site may be more beneficial than asking about exotica running costs on a generic forum?

Now, I am assuming that as Paras apparently already owns a 335i and is now supposedly hunting for a Porsche, then he knows the basic costs involved in running a fairly prestige car, has some experience of what costs are involved in running such a car and therefore fully aware of what costs he needs to find out when purchasing any new vehicle, and indeed how to find them.

Paras also states in his OP "Its Soooo tempting but sadly only just out of reach due to running expenses." which also suggests that he has an adequate idea of how much such a vehicle would cost to run.

Now, if you are buying a vehicle and are clearly displaying a broad idea of vehicle running costs, and yet you are not sure if you can afford to meet those costs, then you cannot afford to meet those costs. And if you are buying a car without even bothering to properly research the running costs via the relevant channels, then stop and learn to breath before even thinking about getting up and running.

You need to be sure that you can easily afford the costs before you commit yourself to such a purchase, and anybody who buys something they don't think they can afford will very probably find out very rapidly that they were indeed correct.

Soldato
Isn't the 911 the better car though...

I suppose it depends what you mean by "better".

In every way apart from style and exclusivity, then probably yes, but I'd say the aston has more kudos than the porka.

The porka is amlost a victim of its own success. I see them all over the place and while that doesn't in any way make them a bad car, they don't have the same affect upon me as seeing an Aston does.

"nice" car spotting on a motorway cruise goes:

Merc...
Porsche...
Merc...
Porsche...
BWM...
Porsche...
Ohhhhh look, it's an Aston!!!
Porsche...

:D

Soldato
Well.... how about asking the relevant people, like your insurance company, the dealers who will service the vehicle, checking your local fuel prices and comparing the relevant MPG, browsing a few parts sites and asking the tax man, etc.??

Exactly, so that concludes that if you ask how much a car costs to run, it doesn't necessarily mean you cannot afford it......your initial statement is thus bs.

Soldato
I do know your finanical status or what not but if its only a matter of 8k more that your current budget, then why not?

Might be more expensive to run than the 911 but, its an Aston for heeps sake, do it :D

Back
Top Bottom