For the ultimate watch snob

Associate
suppose folk who can afford the watch that doesn't tell the time are making a statement about how any one of their umpteen assistants can tell the time with a click of their fingers

Associate
As pointed out on the comments on the news site linked to, it's not actually going to tell you when it's day or night as it's advertised to...
All it does is flip from one to the other every twelve hours, which is going to be right precisely... twice a year.
I mean christ if I write the time on a piece of paper it's right at least twice a DAY!

Caporegime
SO, the main function of a watch isn't to tell the time, as there's so many other means of getting the time - so I wonder why someone would want to wear something simply for the way it looks...

An expensive gold ring with a diamond on its circumference doesn't serve any useful practical purpose but the majority of the women in the UK will be presented one at some point in their lives. Its just jewelry, everyone knows the bottom of the range £5 casio watch can tell the time but most people who buy an expensive watch do so because they believe it looks good. This is just taking it to the extremes a bit.

Permabanned
I never wear a watch. The places I go usually have a clocks around them.

I also carry a mobile around with me, it's not hard to take it out of your pocket and have a look.

Soldato
I never wear a watch. The places I go usually have a clocks around them.

I also carry a mobile around with me, it's not hard to take it out of your pocket and have a look.

Maybe, but that's so much effort!

Feel very weird without a watch on my wrist. Almost always needs to be there.

Man of Honour
Whats so bad about spending lots of money on something if you like it?

The same rule applies for watches as cars, phones, clothes (including the current OCUK favourite, jeans) and just about everything else.

Spending above a certain point will you deminishing returns of function. A £13,000 watch will probably give a similar function as a £100 watch. A £30 phone will give the same functions as a £300 phone. Both examples to an extent obviously.

So what?

If you want to buy something, buy it. If it is your desire then it isn't a waste of money. People moaning at expensive watches reminds me of 'vocal vegetarians'. Just shut up with your 'holier than thou' ethics and live and let live.

Soldato
a watch isnt just "for" telling the time anyway, its a fashion accessory that just happens to tell the time.

or lots of people just buy them because they appreciate the workmanship and design behind it

Soldato
Have to say I always wear a watch but I find myself always using my phone for the time lol. My watch isnt even a particularly spectacular one either, just a standard NEXT jobby!

Commissario
"I don't wear a watch, I have a mobile phone".

So what's easier?

Slight twist of wrist and glance.

Or...

Reach into pocket to take out phone, look at display, see it's blank because the screensaver has kicked in and it's locked itself. Press two keys to unlock, see time and then put phone back in pocket, maybe pushing two more keys to relock before doing so (or just rely on the autolock).

I know which one I think is easier and quicker.

Associate
"I don't wear a watch, I have a mobile phone".

So what's easier?

Slight twist of wrist and glance.

Or...

Reach into pocket to take out phone, look at display, see it's blank because the screensaver has kicked in and it's locked itself. Press two keys to unlock, see time and then put phone back in pocket, maybe pushing two more keys to relock before doing so (or just rely on the autolock).

I know which one I think is easier and quicker.

Feek stole my post ! :p;)

my thoughts exactly

Man of Honour
a watch isnt just "for" telling the time anyway, its a fashion accessory that just happens to tell the time.

or lots of people just buy them because they appreciate the workmanship and design behind it

I'd have to disagree with the first part, a watch is designed for telling the time, that is the primary purpose. If it doesn't then you've got what is essentially a bracelet/bangle and not a device for telling the time in any useful sense of the word.

But I'd agree with the second part, the asthetics, quality and/or perceived value are what distinguishes a timepiece such as this from a £5 digital effort (that and the fact that the digital watch will be unquestionably more useful if you need to know what o'clock it is).

Back
Top Bottom