Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Ordered the tape, thanks for the advice
No worries. Where did you get it from? JRA?

Don't forget the heat and round edges tricks though!

I'm still deciding, but considering the alternative's to fox
It's between the 66 MArzocchi's and the Fox Van, forgot the version.
I'd say the Fox VAN 36 RC2 if you want high and low speed compression adjustment or the R at a slightly cheaper price if not.

Have you already bought or own the Strokers?

Soldato
Can someone please explain what the stroke, length and size options for rear shocks mean?

190x50,
200x50
200x57

etc etc...

Soldato
Can someone please explain what the stroke, length and size options for rear shocks mean?

190x50,
200x50
200x57

etc etc...

Length of the shock( i2i) is the distance betweent he two bolts that hold it to the frame. Usually about 195mm 222mm on big bike.

The stroke is the amount the shock move,the length of the shaft bit. You need to match it to the bikes spec or it won't end good. The stroke X the leverage ratio of the frame gives the travel.

The 550x57 on the spring would mean a 550 lb/s ft spring weight with a 57mm stroke. You must also match the shock spring to the shock.

Associate
Just got myself a new toy:

Built on a XM117 with DT swiss comp spokes, all for £88 including delivery :)

I originally though they priced it wrong and was just trying my luck as they charge £139.99 for the XC717 version, which is still cheap, but more normal.

Just going to wait till the rim breaks so I can rebuild it with a XC717 :p

It is to go on:

Can't wait to put it on my bike for a ride and watch the hikers/pedestrian jump out of the way :cool:

Just got to wait for the new cassette (one that doesn't chew up the hub) to arrive and my exams to finish :(

Soldato
I just built a new toy too:

IMG_1089.jpg

Associate
White tyres on the other hand are probably a step too far.

spectarmac.JPG

Picked that up yesterday and what a great ride it is. Made the mistake of letting some family members see it. Very stressful watching someone wearing slippers wobble up the garden on a brand new £1500 bike with clipless pedals.

Man of Honour
Hi, require some new handle bars also and was hoping for a good recommendation for XC use and no more than £40 preferably from chain reaction as thats where im gonna make orders

thanks!

Last edited:
Soldato
What's your stem diameter? 25.4 or 31.8mm?

If it's the latter then you can't go wrong with these. If it's the former... well, you've got plenty of choice. Just depends on how wide you like them and how much (if any) rise you want.

EDIT: If it is 25.4mm I've got some Giant low-rise bars that are roughly the same shape and width as the Atlas AMs. Might make a nice upgrade for you?

Last edited:
Soldato
6+ months of faffing about and changing my mind on what frame to buy has finally born fruit. I've made a decision, actually bought something for a change and in the process bagged myself a bargain... but what is it?

mysteryqx4.jpg

Cookie in the post for the first correct guess.

Soldato
I love the colour, but it's an acquired taste. Looks great when the sun hits it and brings the metal flake out.

sparklecf3.jpg

What's going on it is a bit of a secret at the moment and will take a couple of months to finish. But I've got another frame on the way too which will be my 'daily rider'.

Man of Honour
I love the colour, but it's an acquired taste. Looks great when the sun hits it and brings the metal flake out.

*snip*

What's going on it is a bit of a secret at the moment and will take a couple of months to finish. But I've got another frame on the way too which will be my 'daily rider'.

Aye lookss grand in the sun! need more of a clue on the frame that tubing is quite widely used! A secret pfft come on!!! when its done you will have to come up here and ride some proper hills :D

Soldato
glitch, Columbus steel tubing? Very nice!
Thank you! Funnily enough I sold an old Columbus Nivachrom frame to fund the purchase of this.

Aye lookss grand in the sun! need more of a clue on the frame that tubing is quite widely used! A secret pfft come on!!! when its done you will have to come up here and ride some proper hills :D
Okay, more clues on the frame.

Neither a British nor an American frame.

The colour is apparently very rare - they are more commonly seen in 'Matte Black'.

Bottle-opener on disc mount.

Down-tube is eliptical.

Forward-facing slot in seat tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom