My new sub. [Pics]

Soldato
Just thought I'd share some quick photo's. Think I may have to move it elsewhere as my left ear hurts after awhile. lol. Perhaps further down the room or something.

But my word it can pump out those low notes without much boom! Which is nice. And paired with the speakers there is a good balance between them.

Sub_4.jpg

Sub_3.jpg

Sub_1.jpg

Sub_2.jpg

Currently have it turned a quater of the way up. Loud enough for me!

Cheers. hehe.

Soldato
OP
nice:) ideally, you'll probably find its better at the other end of the room facing you. remember, placement is critical. dont just stick with putting it under the desk:)

Cheers mate. I've moved it. hahah. Down the end of the room by the T.V. The bass sounds better actually, so I think it was too close. Plus me ear doesn't hurt now! :D

Also hooked up the extra channel input as per the instructions for a 2-channel setup.

i was looking at that the other day when i bought my 916i's. what sort of price is it ?

In the shop it's like ~£230. I bought it from here:-

https://www.forumhifivisual.co.uk/Speakers/Subwoofers/MORDAUNT_SHORT_AVANT_309i_SUBWOOFER_1655.html

£169.95 inc.VAT + Free 2 day Delivery!!

The colour shown in my pics is the honey maple. :D

Soldato
Sealed?

Looks nice, you may find it's louder firing into a corner... Certainly made a difference to my Sub. :) My main problem is stopping things from rattling things around my house... :D

In fact, yours is quite a nice size, mine uses around the same amount of floor space, but it's taller then me. :eek:

Soldato
Cheers mate. I've moved it. hahah. Down the end of the room by the T.V. The bass sounds better actually, so I think it was too close. Plus me ear doesn't hurt now! :D

thats good to hear:) (see what i did there:o)

one of the easiest placements to get right for a subwoofer if your seating position is against one wall, is against the opposite wall facing you. you may find it causes a bit of a increase in the 50-60hz region depending on the room dimentions, but critically you should find it boosts the extension quite a lot. in my living room i have my 15" sealed subwoofer set up exactly like this. at 20hz i gain as much as 14-15db which is a huge amount.

Associate
Thats a lovely looking sub.

I am going to purchase an amp(undecided) and probably the MS 902i's/Wharfedale DIAMOND 9.1.

What amp are you using and can i ask james miller what amp would you recommend ~ £150?

Chris

Permabanned
Nice, I have the lesser 308, back then prices for the 309 were allot higher so I didn't even bother listening to it, im regretting that now, im curious about the difference.

Associate

I am going to purchase an amp(undecided) and probably the MS 902i's/Wharfedale DIAMOND 9.1.

What amp are you using and can i ask james miller what amp would you recommend ~ £150?

Chris

The MS 902i's are £109.00 at HI-FIX, Richer sounds should beat that by £10.

Soldato
Hope you have understanding neighbours! Looks a right beast!

Loving the retro case, I'm sure them things will become collectors items one day so many have been skipped recently there can't be many left!

Soldato
OP
Wow thanks for all the comments. Much appreciated!

Chris

I'm using the Cambridge Azur 640A. It's by no means high-level but powers my little setup fine. Think it was around the £200 mark, can't remember now.

Amp_Front.jpg

Nice Sub. (and nice Viewsonic monitor, used to have one)

I use a Mordaunt Short centre for my home cinema, which is quite nice. assuming the subs sound good too :)

Haha yeah the monitor has lasted a good while, looking to upgrade soon though. Keep wanting to buy a nice 24" tft but it's serious money.

Nice looking sub :) . Is it ported (ie, has a hole in it) or not? Doesn't seem to say in specs.

Yeah it has two, here's another pic for you.

Sub_Back.jpg

Nice, so how is the speakers powered? wheres the amp?

The speakers are connected via speaker cable to the amp, here's a pic for you.

Speaker_Back.jpg

And all nice and neat together. lol.

Group_Sub.jpg

Hope you have understanding neighbours! Looks a right beast!

Loving the retro case, I'm sure them things will become collectors items one day so many have been skipped recently there can't be many left!

Haha yeah the XaserIII, I really fancy the Zalman GT1000 but again, serious money +£200 just for a case! eek! lol. The XaserIII is a big case though, keeps my rig nice and cool... if a bit dated. lol.

Thanks again peeps!!

Soldato
OP
Good pics mate thanks, got the 902i's myself, been thinking of that sub, whats it like, how's it sound?

Well I don't have any fancy meters to adjust the frequency stuff, etc. Basically just plugged it in and altered the range until I heard just bass stuff and no instruments or singing from the sub. Then turned the volume to a 1/4 turn and it's great! Perfect for me, no way would I have it any louder either but it can handle most music well.

I've been listening to some heavy metal (Killswitch, Megadeath, Metallica, Slayer) and double bass pedal's are fine, and also some electric pop (Robyn) and Pendulum and all are great! Really shows how much a sub is required in a music setup. :) For the price I paid in that link I think you can't go wrong for £169.95. Quality sub as well, just like the speakers. Well made imo.

Associate
I'm no audio buff myself, just upgraded from Z-5500's to an amp and 902i's and the difference is amazing.
The sub on the Z's was good but a bit boomy and not very musical.
But like you said, with the quality and price of this, i think i will be impressed.
Cheers. More money now!

Back
Top Bottom