1st may voting

Man of Honour
Paperwork is there for 2 reasons. Firstly to ensure that the police are accountable and secondly to ensure that everything is documented in order to raise the chances of a successful prosecution.

Are you really against these two aims?

So it's one way or the other?

Be realistic. They could easily cut the paperwork and simplify it massively. Whilst keeping those two aims.

Caporegime
You realise it was the Tories who introduced 'league tables' in 1993?

I agree Labour have been a disaster for Britain but let's make sure blame is attributed where it should be.

The introduction of the league tables wasnt the problem. Providing the public sector with league tables, as an incentive to perform better would be right up thatchers street. Its part the reason why she made the economic reform she did, to stop the public sector relying on government money and sticking with ineffecient practices.

The problem was the subsequent government policy forcing hospitals to treat patients in such a way as to make the league tables look better. Refusing to allow GPs to make advance appointments for further than a week ahead, not actually referring patients initially so they dont show on waiting lists. Having separate parts of A&E so they can be classed as not awaiting treatment etc..

Do you think the public would be in favour of the tax rises required to make this 4-fold increase in police numbers permanent?

who said anything about a 4 fold increase in numbers. It was only a 4 fold increase in traffic cops i was talking about. And besides, a 4 fold increase wouldnt be necessary if coppers didnt have to spend 2 hours doing paperwork after every arrest, if, as in the example outlined above, process teams were setup to process prisoners and documentation leaving the officers on the beat.

Every other industry has a distinction between admin staff and the shift workers on the shop floor so to speak. How much of a waste of time is it having an experienced seargant sat at a desk all shift ?

Last edited:
Associate
value for money is a difficult one to measure

but i certainly feel ive got my value for money. The new building at leeds general infimary has one of the leading neurological units in the whole of yorkshire. My mum was diagnosed with a Grade IV brain tumor and given 12 months to live by them. I can only describe the care she received there as the very best i could have expected.

You're right. If you got a brain tumour or cancer, or some other debilitating illness then the NHS is one of the best places in the world to be treated.

Although technically we did have better value for money under the Tories with the NHS. It was, in fact, rated the most economic health service in the world. Good results with a relatively small budget (cf. to canada, france, etc).

Man of Honour
And what good have they done?

Minimum Wage
BoE independence
Peace settlement in NI
Abolishing section 28
Dramatic cuts in waiting lists
Yes for the bank of England and peace settlement.
No to the the rest.
It's hardly an outstanding performance for over a decade of work. The negatives far out weight . The couple of good things.

You really object a national minimum wage, the abolition of Section 28 and cutting waiting lists?

You asked for the 'good' that Labour had done, Visage gave you a very brief listing and then you try to immediately dismiss over half of it. Remember that a lot of what is viewed as a positive impact will depend on your position in society and whether it directly affects you.

My initial point still stands, people are too willing to only notice the negatives without acknowledging the positives. I wasn't even thinking of specifics at the time but the argument has been nicely illustrated.

Man of Honour
You really object a national minimum wage, the abolition of Section 28 and cutting waiting lists?

You asked for the 'good' that Labour had done, Visage gave you a very brief listing and then you try to immediately dismiss over half of it. Remember that a lot of what is viewed as a positive impact will depend on your position in society and whether it directly affects you.

I firmly Don't agree with a minimum wage.
I have already said I don't think waiting lists have been cut and that it is just a stats exercise.
Although I have no problems with Gays, I don't think it should be promoted. Just like I don't think Divorce and other such things should be promoted.

I'm interested to see what people think labour has done right as from where I'm sitting is very small and is far outweighed by there negative things.
I'm not saying that Tories where any better(as I'm to young to really understand what they did). However I don't understand how people can think labour have or did do a good job at the begining.

Associate
Evrytime I have been at hospital have thought it to be pretty good. My local hospital and surgery are modern. I don't have much to complain about.

Looking forward to Borris!

Caporegime
I'm interested to see what people think labour has done right as from where I'm sitting is very small and is far outweighed by there negative things.
I'm not saying that Tories where any better(as I'm to young to really understand what they did).

I did history at A level, so have a fair understanding of how britains political culture was formed, and took a genuine interest in the thatcher years

And i somewhat fail to understand how certain members of my parents generation continue to resent the conservatives based upon their experiences during the thatcher years

Most of the people who argue they were hard done by in those years and would never vote conservative again, make up the "Red Donkey Country" that is the yorkshire region i live in. Dont think theres been anything other than a red council at Wakefield Town Hall. And theres unlikely to be either, as the joke goes that even if the local labour party put up a donkey as the local election candidate, the locals would still vote for them (hence the name)

The thing is, even the current labour leader and ex leader (Blair and Brown) both admire thatcher for doing what needed to be done. Yes she brought in some very unpopular policies, and was almost certainly too enthusiastic and tryed to change things too fast. But even the current party they vote for, acknowledges thatchers contribution for tacking the absurdly high inflation of the 70s and the massive government debt.

Associate
Last edited:
Caporegime
Am I the only on who thinks if your committing electoral fraud you would at least have the sense not to leave the boxes open?

Soldato
Minimum Wage
BoE independence
Peace settlement in NI
Abolishing section 28

Yes, in over 10 years. They've also increased taxes massively, increased immigration to the point that it is causing internal tension, encouraged Islamic extremism, lied profusely about important foreign policy issues etc. etc.

Dramatic cuts in waiting lists

Indeed, by changing the criteria for what it is to wait and introducing new levels of triage. In other words, Labour would rather busy themselves lying about the criteria for success than actually put effort into the healthcare system

Soldato
This government is being exposed for the scam it has been all along. Brown is reaping what he has sewn - an economic time bomb. Blair knew it and he got his 10 years on the back of it.

The labour government have kept us all content, watching or house rocket in value, making us feel better off by bringing in the minimum wage etc. Yet taxes have exploded many imes beyond this and the economy has been proped up by debt. There are those in a red tie on here who will go nuts, whining how much the minimum wage has helped the poor...It hasn't. Prove it!!! I hear you cry...

In 1997, the average private sector wage was £315/week. It was up to £427/week in 2006, 8 years on from the minimum wage. An increase of just 36%. In 1997, the average financial liability, excluding mortgages, was £2,690. In 2006, that figure stood at £5,940. That equates to a 120% increase. Debt has risen 4x faster than wages. On average, council tax has gone up 100% in the last 10 years under labour - 3x more than wages have increased. Fuel prices have gone up 135%, a 4-fold increase on wages.

(figures from Hansard btw)

Yet we have the real kicker. Why is inflation supposedly around the 2% mark? Good ol' Labour have spun it again. They've made us all richer so they could tax us harder. Whilst it is genius, it is also morally deviod.

Go Boris, go Cameron!

Soldato
The hospitals are generally fine, it's the GP practice that's a mess.

"Here's a new fat contract for you with less hours, will you accept?"

It's a months waiting list at my local GP, a few years ago it was a few days, pathetic!

Back
Top Bottom