The nifty 250? (55-250 f/4-5.6 IS)

Soldato
I own a Sigma 70-300 APO DG and though I am quite pleased with the IQ the lack of IS bothered me some what, the only time I can use the lens and get good results are on nice bright sunny days.. lately the lack of these days has annoyed me. Tripods i'm not much of a fan of unless i'm very local, like in the house :p. I started hunting around for telephoto IS options and was eying up the Canon 70-300 IS but it was more than I was prepared to pay, I have no doubt its built great and a lovely lens, but at that price i'd like it to be a white lens ;).

Thanks to turbotoes, suggested that I should check out the 55-250 IS, i'm not sure how I managed to miss this lens as I own it's little brother the 18-55 IS which was released around the same time. Anyway, I had a look up at the reviews and was quite impressed so ordered one at the much more appealing price of £170

289435828_7PB5m-M.jpg

Build quality i'd say is slightly better than the 18-55 IS, also shares a plastic mount. It feels smoother on the focal ring and is a lot lighter and smaller than the Sigma 70-300 IS. Mounting it on my 400D I straight away noticed how much faster and quieter the 55-250 IS is at focusing, my sigma is terribly slow and loud, sounds like a power drill!

Using IS on my 17-55 tbh I hardly know about it, but on a tele photo lens IS is just amazing, I can't believe how good it is and the difference it makes.

I took a comparison shot with the 55-250 IS and the sigma 70-300 APO DG, both at 250mm
289440832_KF4qK-XL.jpg

I'd say the 70-250 IS is better, and that advantage increases towards the border where the sigma really starts suffering badly.

Weather has been quite terrible lately (bloody rain!) so haven't been able to get out as much as i'd like but have taken these with the 70-250 IS.

289359124_xfcJs-XL.jpg

250mm @ 1/100

288504317_JfPGR-XL.jpg

289347402_DfX53-XL.jpg

289345038_SaUci-XL.jpg

289449156_GxdNs-XL.jpg

Handheld at 1/4!!

289469294_AXAqE-XL.jpg

Handheld at 1/15

Over all i'm really pleased with the lens I have lost abit of range compared to the sigma but have gained a more sensible starting focal length of 55mm which i'm finding more useful makes me less likely swapping lens like mad. It has a few issues associated with budget lens, poor build, vignetting when used wide open, however this is another very sharp bargin from Canon! Only problem is now I think i'm hooked on IS :).

Last edited:
Associate
I got myself the same lens a few days ago (for £150 inc UV filter :D ) and its great so far. I'm still a noob with DSLRs and not had a chance to get out and about with it but I am impressed with the IS and quality so far.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
It's worth pointing out that you probably own the 18-55 IS. Not the 17-55 IS which is f/2.8, very sharp and £500. Just thought that could do with clearing up.

Soldato
oooh another stansted spotter from romford. Got the exact same kit as you, and i like it.

although im starting to notice it "kick" when using IS and panning on fast moving cars, which throws out the aim/focus. I wonder if mine is faulty? :(

Soldato
OP
oooh another stansted spotter from romford. Got the exact same kit as you, and i like it.

although im starting to notice it "kick" when using IS and panning on fast moving cars, which throws out the aim/focus. I wonder if mine is faulty? :(

hehe small world :D.. last weekend was first time I went to stansted been wanting to go there for abit and finally got down there. Was surprised how busy it gets there, cars all lined up down the road! I wanted to take some shots of them coming in but couldn't find anywhere to park, this was where the runway lights start and was near a small roundabout.

With the kick feature ;) I notice it does kick on spin up, I haven't tried tracking fast with it yet but will give it a try later. Really loving this lens

Soldato

I think that's normal, the IS is trying to compensate for your panning, when it gets the the extreme it 'resets' to the centre position at a guess. This is what you see with the jolt.

On more expensive lenses you are able to switch the IS into a panning mode (i.e. it only corrects vertical movement).

Soldato
I also have this lens, got some test shots from when i went to jessops that i was supposed to put up. Guess now is as good a time as any. Acidentally left it on ISO 1600 from being inside the shop... was a pretty cloudy day anyway so meh. Canon 400d, both lenses fully zoomed using the same settings.

Sigma 70-300 APO at 300mm 1/250 f5.6 handheld ISO 1600
IMG_5503DesktopResolution.jpg

Canon 55-250mm at 250mm 1/250 f5.6 handheld ISO 1600
IMG_5505DesktopResolution.jpg

The focus point for this test is a bit out on the sigma lens so please excuse it... still shows the shake though and how well the IS combats it.

Sigma 70-300 APO at 300mm 1/250 f5.6 handheld ISO 1600
IMG_5504DesktopResolution.jpg

Canon 55-250mm at 250mm 1/250 f5.6 handheld ISO 1600
IMG_5506DesktopResolution.jpg

Soldato
hehe small world :D.. last weekend was first time I went to stansted been wanting to go there for abit and finally got down there. Was surprised how busy it gets there, cars all lined up down the road! I wanted to take some shots of them coming in but couldn't find anywhere to park, this was where the runway lights start and was near a small roundabout.

With the kick feature ;) I notice it does kick on spin up, I haven't tried tracking fast with it yet but will give it a try later. Really loving this lens

you gone to the main place then, i go down green lane which is under the flight path at the end of runway

Back
Top Bottom