Just got a Pacifica 112

Permabanned
I found a Musical Instrument store in my town - quite big actually, suprised I never noticed it before - and bought a Pacifica 112. I was hoping to get it in a pack but the only pack they had was the Fender Squier and I really didn't like the colour set. The Pacifica I bought has a natural finish which I like.

Anyway. I'm heading back into town in a second to grab an Amp and whatever else I need to get started.

Can anyone recommend what I need to buy? I don't wanna come home finding out I forgot to get something :D

Regards!

Also, someone recommend a good website for beginners (I have NEVER played a musical instrument but intend to learn over the summer before Uni starts again), whilst your here. Yes, I know there are numerous threads but I would like fresh ideas! :D

Bri.

Soldato
How much are you looking to spend? The Roland Cube amps are great little amps, although something like a Line 6 Spider II amp is great too.

I'm afraid I can't make a personal recommendation as I plug my guitar into my Line 6 pod then straight into the PC, the pod models the amp for me!

Permabanned
OP
Well for now I was thinking maybe upto £60 as I will only be using it with headphones for the time being. Until I go back to University I will not have much time during the day where I can play without them - neighbours and parents will likely moan :D

Soldato
Second vote for the Line6 Spider range.

Get a decent lead and picks of widths, 0.50 - 1.0.
Get a tuner too, one with a metronome built in.
A strap also.

Permabanned
OP
Cheers I'm gonna go head back into town then. Glad you reminded me about the Tuner :p

Hey. I also need to ask about the guitar itself. I'm a complete newb and there was no real useful manual for the guitar itself. There is this screw on bar thing - whammy i think? - and it doesnt really tell you anything about it lol. Its just in the box atm..... heh I'm an idiot :D

Yeah so erm... anyone recommend how the hell I 'begin' :p ?

Info:
I have no musical knowledge
I do not know how to read music (do you have to?)

laters.

Commissario
Yeh its a whammy bar - should just screw in as it's a Pacifica.

Should pick up a beginners book and learn tab notation, or go onto a tab website and learn some basic chords.

Permabanned
OP
Thanks people. You have been really helpful so far :)

Well, as an update I got a:

Line6 MicroSpider AMP. Cost 70 quid so I've probably been ripped off but it seems to look ok. I think its only 6Wat but it's just for a tiny room for practice anyway.

http://line6.com/microspider/

Bought it from town so I'm gonna mess with it now lol.

Permabanned
OP
I'd up the budget on the amp just a little and get one of these:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_ga5.htm

Either that or buy one used on ebay.

Too late I already have the microSpider sitting in my room lol.

Another question. How tight do I screw on the whammy bar lol? Oh and you know the bridge bit that has pickups (minds a double bridge - begins with H "Edit: Humbucker" or whatever the name is for it)? It has a kind of ribbon but encircling it - looks kind of fragile - whats it for ?

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
The E string (the thin one) doesnt seem to go directly over the first and second pickup (closest to the fret), but manages to go over the pickup on the humbucker.... weird.

Associate
The ribbon, is it just around the sort of inside of the pickup? That is just to protect the coils. It isnt that fragile, but not something you should be poking at :p

Tighten it to what feels best. You can tighten it all the way on and have it rigid, or leave it a few turns short so it flops about a bit. Or you could just bin the thing because they are useless ;)

I wouldnt worry too much about the string being misaligned. It happens, especially in cheaper instruments. But the string should still be within the magnetic field of the pickup, so you'll be fine :)

If the microspider works for you then it works. There are some stunning amps in the cheaper brackets (some nice 5 watt valve jobs!).

And dont worry about the power, it is enough unless you are wanting to play in a band. Even then, you guitarists get off luckily, 15-30 watts is more than enough usually, and 100 watts is for peeling paint (and its fun :D ).

Permabanned
OP
Thanks will.
Its just its hard to get the guitar to a volume level where its not TOO loud. It seems that even the lowest setting makes all the strings loud. The E string I was on about seems to only really be noticeable when the volume is loud. So all the other strings end up being OVERLY loud lol. Maybe its just me heh.

I have no idea what to set the Tone Dial on my guitar to, or what the little 5 point switch lever is for haha.

Permabanned
OP
I'm a little confused.
You see, I don't like just being todl what to do - well, I do, but I also get really frustrated when i don't understand WHY I'm being told what to do.

For instance: I'm being told to play A Chords, and C Chords, and A Major or whatever, but I do not understand what exactly IS A, C chord etc. I guess this is due to me not understanding notes andm for examplem, I wouldn't be able to tell you "Oh thats a "B" if I heard one"?

Should I just ignore the fact I don't and just learn the Chords anyway?

Associate
I'm a little confused.
You see, I don't like just being todl what to do - well, I do, but I also get really frustrated when i don't understand WHY I'm being told what to do.

For instance: I'm being told to play A Chords, and C Chords, and A Major or whatever, but I do not understand what exactly IS A, C chord etc. I guess this is due to me not understanding notes andm for examplem, I wouldn't be able to tell you "Oh thats a "B" if I heard one"?

Should I just ignore the fact I don't and just learn the Chords anyway?

I would just have some fun with it for the moment, if you start getting hung up on theory now then you may get bored.

Permabanned
OP
Okie dokes :D
Great news is that I found out there is a place called Venombased Studios which is like 40 minutes away from my home, and will be a 2 minute - literally - walk away from my University accommodation in Stoke-on-trent (near the train station). So I intend to go for lessons there every so often as it's only £20/hr.

Laters!
(Anyone else from Stoke?)

Back
Top Bottom