could you get by without the Internet in your job?

Soldato
Work as a software developer developing software deployed via smart-client so yes, but I use a lot of references on the web so it would make it harder. Also, would have to phone our remote worker instead of using Skype/MSN.

Associate
In my job without the internet or network services over WWW.

1) Patients care would be affected
2) Longer waiting times to see Doctor/Consultant
3) Government targets down the drain :rolleyes:

Soldato
Don't think so for me. I work in IT therefore the 'net is essential if I need to troubleshoot an issue which I haven't seen before.

Soldato
certainly not! i use the internet for all my resources, time wasting, help etc

before last summer then yes i could, as there was always stuff to do, but since we completely overhauled the network its become more of a "sit here and wait for someone to ask for help" job :p

i guess if i didnt have the internet right now id be checking servers, or playing with our new ultrium backup drive that we cant use until our SCSI card arrives :( new eonstor arriving later so i guess ill spend a while playing with that too lol

Last edited:
Associate
In a few years... if out net connection went down, people will not be able to get their prescriptions!

That from our chain of pharmacies that will be processing electronic prescriptions (in release 2 -when most prescriptions will go paperless and nominated pharmacy can be chosen). Search for ETP or EPS (electronic prescriptions) on the www.psnc.org.uk website for more details.

Soldato
Wouldn't affect the majority of my work, but it would make a proportion of it difficult and the kids would miss out (I teach ICT). It would make reports and registration, comparatively, a pain also.

Soldato
I could probably get by for a week at most. The company, however, would be rapidly going bad, as our office provides a vital resource (over the Internet) for 70% of the company's staff!

Back
Top Bottom