70-200 F4 L IS vs 2.8 IS, the 4 is better ¬_¬

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
What is there to misunderstand? I stated clearly that I noticed the "existence" of dust particles at f4 on the 350d and since the 40d has the sonic dust removal feature this is not an issue anymore.

Clearly BS Indeed.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
I don't have the 2.8 anymore! I sold it to get the 4IS and save £500~ whilst getting better results (hence thread!!)

Soldato
I don't have the 2.8 anymore! I sold it to get the 4IS and save £500~ whilst getting better results (hence thread!!)

Good lord he's trying desperately to point out that having f/2.8 over f/4 is a huge advantage in and of itself how many times will this point be made and missed

Soldato
Wait, but the f/4 is the better lens and it can't do f/2.8? Hmmm annoying. So if you wanted f/2.8 the f/4 wouldn't really be a good choice no matter how slightly sharper it is with your eyes right up against the screen. The f/4 might be sharper than the f/2.8 at f/4 but the f/2.8 is easily sharper at f/2.8 than the f/4 is :p Thus I declare the f/2.8 the winner since the f/4 can't do f/2.8.

Soldato
Having seen the results from either lens i would be pleased with the IQ of either, but the f4 wouldn't really be of much use to me due to its relative inability to shoot in lower light conditions. F2.8 all the way!.

Soldato
Wait, but the f/4 is the better lens and it can't do f/2.8? Hmmm annoying. So if you wanted f/2.8 the f/4 wouldn't really be a good choice no matter how slightly sharper it is with your eyes right up against the screen. The f/4 might be sharper than the f/2.8 at f/4 but the f/2.8 is easily sharper at f/2.8 than the f/4 is :p Thus I declare the f/2.8 the winner since the f/4 can't do f/2.8.

Good lord he's trying desperately to point out that having f/2.8 over f/4 is a huge advantage in and of itself how many times will this point be made and missed
What if you didn't want/need faster than f/4 but wanted an extra few hundred quid in your pocket? f/4IS winner? :D

Seriously, of course you love your f/2.8's - i probably would if i could afford one - but making your point like this repeatedly is a bit much. :)

Both are great lenses obviously - but each is suited to different uses and budgets.

Like i said earlier - the softness of zooms priced the same (or similar) as primes lead me to choose the latter and zoom with my feet. Loved my sigma f/2.8 but compared to my 50 and 300 in sig the images just didn't compare.

gt

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP

Yes I know there is benefit of a 2.8 lens, in case you forgot I do have a standard zoom 2.8 IS as a primary lens so know this but the whole point of my thread is not about why 2.8 is worth it for low light but for the fact that at F4 the F4 is sharper than the 2.8 at F4 because it has way better flare control so midtones and shadow edges are not flared by highlight BGs - how many times will that be missed??

I understand what Pete is trying to point out but some of you guys are failing to understand what I'm trying to point out, that I have owned both these lenses and have gotten better results from the F4 when both lenses were/are always used at F4.

So to make sure everybody is kicking the same ball:

1) I got 2.8 IS 70-200 L for £1200

2) I was not happy with the results below F4 (too flary in highlight/shadow subjects)

3) I got a swapout for another example which was better but still not what I wanted from a £1200 lens

4) I did my research and found others online had the same findings of the 2.8IS

5) I sold the 2.8IS and got the F4 IS

6) I found the 4IS inline with what people said about it on other boards and review sites, that it's sharper at its widest F4 any zoom than the 2.8IS at F4 any zoom

7) I posted my thoughts about this here in this thread

8) Only to be told the 2.8IS is better and that I shoudl post f/2.8 images from the F4... lol :rolleyes:

Last edited:

33L

33L

Associate
i would like one too for the money a 120-300 f2.8 is not too far off and i am still debating the 2 different lenses.

70-200 has IS and continues nicely from my sigma 17-70.
120-300 further reach

Im not too bothered about IS as the lens will mostly be mounted to a monopod/tripod in most cases.

Back
Top Bottom