Glucasamine and other supplements for an endurance athlete

Associate
A certain someone - I won't mention names as my post might go missing again - has a habit of going crying to the mods when he doesn't like my posts so they get deleted, go figure.

You were reported because of your attitude, personal insults and childishly changing my username. No more, no less. Its not the first time you've had your posts deleted for exactly the same reasons either is it chong? I have no idea why you react so badly when challenged.

that's why all this constant 'placebo' nonesense from Jeff..... is a little boring and annoying.

Its annoying for you because its not what you want to hear? I'm not the one doing the clinical tests!

Here you go, another recent test:
Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate for Knee Osteoarthritis

To the Editor: The study by Clegg et al. (Feb. 23 issue)1 suggests that glucosamine and chondroitin are not better than placebo for knee osteoarthritis. The most remarkable aspect of their study is perhaps the huge placebo effect — 60 percent of the patients noted at least a 20 percent decrease in the Western Ontario and McMaster Universities Osteoarthritis Index (WOMAC) pain score from baseline to week 24.1 The authors comment that "elevated rates of response to placebo have been reported in other osteoarthritis trials." However, the two references provided did not show long-term placebo effects after oral medication — one used intraarticular injections2 and the other had only 13 weeks of follow-up.3 The extraordinary response to oral placebo in the trial by Clegg et al. might explain its findings. That is, if placebo is effective in 60 percent of patients, it is difficult for other treatments to surpass this mark. The use of rescue medication seems to have increased during the trial period in all groups.

Soldato
You were reported because of your attitude, personal insults and childishly changing my username. No more, no less. Its not the first time you've had your posts deleted for exactly the same reasons either is it chong? I have no idea why you react so badly when challenged.

I don't react badly to being challenged, just to you. I don't recall ever having a problem with another member on any forum... just you, you need to be a real **** to wind me up, congrat's on that accolade
Its annoying for you because its not what you want to hear? I'm not the one doing the clinical tests!

Here you go, another recent test:
Another good example of you never listening or actually trying to do anything but stir it... wtf are you talking about "it's not what I want to hear?" :confused:

Associate
CONCLUSIONS: The combination therapy relieves symptoms of knee osteoarthritis.

Jeffstar, there are just as many papers that suggest there are effects as there are that suggest there isnt. The issue is that pain isn't easily quantifiable. And with results that are shown, in many cases it does tend to lead to implying that it may work for some, but not all.

Saw one study claiming there was no effect, even though using glucosamine & chondroitin showed an increase in estimated of relief by 25% over the placebo.

Last edited:
Associate
Jeffstar, there are just as many papers that suggest there are effects as there are that suggest there isnt. The issue is that pain isn't easily quantifiable. And with results that are shown, in many cases it does tend to lead to implying that it may work for some, but not all.

Saw one study claiming there was no effect, even though using glucosamine & chondroitin showed an increase in estimated of relief by 25% over the placebo.

That study you've quoted is nearly 10yrs old, as was pointed out earlier, the older studies were unreliable and funded my Rottapharm - a Glucosamine manufacturer, which should tell you something.

But to be honest though mate, i'm done with the thread as it could go on and on and one person is getting very upset. The OP has made up his mind anyway (and saved himself £30) so its probably better left alone :)

Back
Top Bottom